Plants

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

Plants

Postby waterlily » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi

Again I bow to your expertise. Can anybody point me in the right direction for plants. I want to create 2 kinds of gardens, a herb garden and an aroma garden. I will be starting from scratch so any information regarding the types of herbs and flowers I can grow and that are available here would be truly valuable. I recognise a lot of plants but have no idea what time of year to plant etc etc etc. Boring I know but we all have to start somewhere, and besides I need to show my husband that I can do it! Everytime we go to a garden centre he walks behind me muttering ¨come home with us and die¨!! Hmmmppppphhhhhhhhh!

Thanks guys

Waterlily x

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:00 pm

You will be able to grow most herbs with no trouble and you can plant now if you wish, The herb garden itself will be aromatic. Water the new plants in well until they are established.
Grouser

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Try some oregano smells lovely and is great used fresh in spag boll.Or peppers or chilli's. pop a chili in a jar of olives to really spice them up.
As grouser says you should be able to grow any thing its keeping it alive that's the hard thing if your not there permanently or have someone to water stuff for you.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

plants

Postby gavilan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:19 pm

I assume you have thought of an appropriate site for both the herbs and aromatic plants ... most herbs prefer dappled shade and sheltered from the winds like we had recently! ...

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Hi Waterlily, I suggest you look at the "Orange blossom" thread for perfumed plant ideas. Most herbs can come under the aromatic category as well. Rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, majoram, lavender all love the heat and sun once established (many grow wild in the Med.)
I prune them back each year (dried herbs) Even basil grows strongly with a little help, not like the sappy plants in the uk........ it will also self seed. If the plants start running to flower give them a "haircut" and they will soon produce new young leaves. I find mint gets rather woody if not cut frequently and prefers some shade. Hope this helps a little :)

PS we are often not there for months at a time and these still thrive.
Sandramay

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:26 am

Plant Lavender and Rosemary for base plants and when established are very drought hardy. Then plant herbs in between using the initial larger plants as shade and protection etc.
Considered a hot garden of cacti etc, very effective and colorful?
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Actually I wonder if anyone could give me some advice re herb gardens. I love fresh herbs, but we do not have a garden just a large south facing terrace, I have attempted to grow herbs in window boxes, but they just end up frying no matter what I do, any suggestions?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:21 pm

You could try deep pots. Stand them in dishes that will retain water, mulch the top of the pot with gravel to inhibit evaporation and place them in dappled shade.
Grouser

waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

Plants

Postby waterlily » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:11 am

Thank you all for your replies.
Can you grow Jasmine in a large pot rather than plant in the ground?
Are there any other heavenly smelling plants out there that can be grown in large pots?
sinsemilla, is this what I think it is? Can it be grown legally here? Where do you get the seeds? Hubby has suddenly decided that gardening could be fun!!!

Waterlily x

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 am

Can you grow Jasmine in a large pot rather than plant in the ground?
You can..and dama de noche...which smells at night.
Take a trip to guzmans vivero in Alhaurin de la Torre...they have just about everything you need...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.