FINDERS FEES

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

FINDERS FEES

Postby waterlily » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi there

Can anybody tell me what a reasonable finders fee is?.
Friends of ours have been sent all the paperwork to rent their house and the finders fees are 850 euros. I must admit I'm a bit gobsmacked as it would appear all they have done is drive them ( well they followed in their own car) to the house that my friends actually found on another website and were passed onto this company in the area of the property. Apparently the agents did not even show them around the house and the owner is using her own Spanish solicitor to draw up the contract!
Is it me or is this usual.

Thank

Waterlily x

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 pm

I think that is more than a bit shocking, there is no way in the world that anyone could charge that amount of money for that service. :shock:

I am in the property business and there is no way in the world I would charge that sort of money for that level of service and neither would anyone else I know in this field, in my area.

bored to tears
Tourist

Postby bored to tears » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 pm

I think its quite normal for these agents to charge a months fee for their trouble.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 pm

Sorry to be thick, but isn't it usual to sort out what you will pay for a service beforehand?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

FINDERS FEES

Postby waterlily » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks appreciate that, didnt think so lol

Can you tell me what the average ball park figure is likely to be.

Thanks

Waterlily x

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:21 pm

What is normal and what is acceptable iI believe are two totally different things
Waterlily what exactly did they charge for? Have your friends asked for a breakdown if so can you let me know by pm if you prefer not to post here and I will give you one opinion and then maybe you might like to ask for opinions of others

waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

FINDERS FEES

Postby waterlily » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 am

Hi

Well as far as I am told, the property was found on another web site by my friends. This particular webiste forwarded the enquiry on to the agents they are dealing with now. The following is a breakdown of what actually happened

1. Call was made to new agents.
2. Appointment to view was made.
3. Friends drove to meeting point and followed agents to house.
4. Friends shown around property by owner.
5. Friends made another appointment to view the following week.
6. Again met agents at meeting point and followed to property.
7. Friends called agent 2 days later and accepted property.
8. Friends presented with breakdown of monies required to rent the property. 2 months rental deposit. 1 months rental at start of tenancy. Agents fee 850.00.

In a nutshell thats it! Friends now have discovered that owners are having the contract drawn up in spanish by the owners solicitor so the agent is not even having to do that!

I´m sorry but even in my wildest stretch of imagination can that be worth 850 euros.

Maybe I am missing something here.

Would still appreciate a ball park figure.

Waterlily x

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:08 am

That sounds absolutely outrageous to me :evil:

Why don't you ring up some agents and find out how much they charge.

What is the name of the agent, I think you should name and shame. :oops:

waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

finders fees

Postby waterlily » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:34 am

It gets better

This is the list of services rendered for the fee of 850 euros.

1. Finding the property for client
I refer back to my original posting, the property was sourced on another website and they were passed onto this agent.
2. Overheads.
Ummmmmmmm petrol maybe....all of 3 km, driving a Boeing 747 with full passenger load.
3. Maintenance of their website to allow clients perusal of properties.
Did not realize that one client paid for the whole years upkeep.
4. It has always been our policy to charge one months rental of any property that has an agreed tenancy between our clients.
They have properties on their website for 1500 euros a month,
wow must have more money than sense if you agreed to pay that kind of fee.
5. It is standard practice in Spain and we are sure you will find all Agents charge the same. :shock:
Over to you guys!!!!!

My friends have asked me not to name the Company at the moment as this is still in dispute and apart from anything else they are ´nice people´who dont like rocking boats.

They will learn!

Thanks

Waterlily x

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:33 pm

A finder's fee of one month's rent is normal - even if it is extortionate. It is exactly the same in the UK, except that there it is the landlord, rather than the tenant, who pays it.

McT