police corruption?? or a "perk" of the job ??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

police corruption?? or a "perk" of the job ??

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:45 am

so i was in a friends place the other night. her guardia civil boyfriend turns up, (in uniform but his own car)... sits down, pulls out an evidence bag and procedes to roll a joint.

looking at him in surprise he then offers it to me and says "if you dont want to smoke i've got coke in the car..."

the question is, is this a perk, or corruption?? i know what i would do...

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 am

No different to the few coppers I knew back in the UK.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 am

sadly thats probably true hilly, i've heard a few stories about uk coppers as well. :(

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:52 am

My hubby's best mate is a copper, lovely bloke but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (6'4" not very far!). He has shocked me a few times in the past :shock: :shock:

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:50 am

Okay, they can't all be tarred with the same brush, however :roll: my ex next door neighbour in the UK was a copper, very nice bloke as a neighbour - otherwise, very prone to speeding, pulling a fast one and generally getting away with whatever he could and openly doing so!

About 4 years ago, I witnessed a crime and following numerous police interviews, had to attend a 'video ID parade'. This policeman who had been 'assigned' to me, picked me up, drove me to where the Identification was to take place and on the way made 'casual' :roll: general conversation - (the journey lasted for about 45 mins) - I felt a bit uncomfortable as the conversation seemed to be hint dropping about the criminal's lifestyle/background etc and although I was slightly nervous about any 'reprisals' I was confident that I could pick out the suspect as I am pretty good at remembering faces. Anyway, just as we pulled up outside the police station, having told me that I wouldn't be given any information about the suspect's identity :roll: the policeman pulled out this thick case file and written in marker pen was the guy's name!!! Didn't mean anything to me anyway, but it didn't feel right! :shock:

Upshot was, that all the rule bending by the policeman had been unnecessary - the guy's face 'jumped' out at me when doing the video ID.

And, having also been told, that I wouldn't be told whether I had correctly picked out the suspect - on the way home, the policeman said something along the lines of, "you did very well, it was a very worthwhile morning's work" !!!!!!

So, I guess some of the good guys (and maybe the women??) aren't always as good as they ought to be.

Drugs are a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. I think that if I had a copper offer me coke, I would have to report it - well in the UK anyway.
Meg - Sunny by nature

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:37 pm

dido72 wrote:He has shocked me a few times in the past :shock: :shock:
We are all ears............... Please tell all. :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Faire d'Income
Resident

Re: police corruption?? or a "perk" of the job ??

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Presumably you took the spliff off him? Or were you worried about entrapment?

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:01 pm

This was happening 25 years ago in the area I lived in Spain. The Guardia involved was acknowledged as the best source of anything anyone wanted. He drove the best car in the Province - still does for all I know! :? I found it very difficult to turn a blind eye but all my Spanish friends just gave that expressive shrug so I too ignored it. :oops:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:38 pm

Dealer wrote:
dido72 wrote:He has shocked me a few times in the past :shock: :shock:
We are all ears............... Please tell all. :lol:
I couldn't possibly :oops: but he is a really charming, funny bloke so he gets away with murder....not literally of course :shock:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:12 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:Presumably you took the spliff off him? Or were you worried about entrapment?
i dont smoke, so no.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:35 pm

spanish_lad wrote:i've got coke in the car..."

We used to have an open fire when I was a lad Sometimes dad would come bach home with a couple of sacks of coke, you can get a really nice glow with it and roast your chestnuts to perfection.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:15 am

I was told if you had roasted your chestnuts, smear aloe vera on them and all would be well.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:31 am

alaninspain wrote: smear vera on them
Get Vera to What? :oops: :oops:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:10 pm

:lol:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 am

So whats the problem? Am I missing something?

Im not pro drugs nor do I take them but police arent vickars they are just normal working people. Just because they take drugs doesnt mean they are corrupt and a bit of corruption is ok, gets things done. Besides corruption is always there in any country and I prefer it on the small scale (like it used to be here) than on the big scale (like it is in UK)

We are not talking about bribing a policeman to forget about a serious crash where a drunken driver has killed someone, I dont think that could ever happen. Were talking about speeding tickets, mobile phone, parking, drink driving, a little bribe to ignore the coke in the trunk and so on.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:01 pm

The uk police are just as bad, apparently though, Prison officers are much worse, A solicitor friend told me that without exception evert prison officer in the UK is bent, I suppose you only have to look at the amount of drugs and alcohol freely available in Prison to believe it, I mean how else do they get there?
Ah! the full english!!

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Retro P wrote: A solicitor friend told me that without exception evert prison officer in the UK is bent,
Did you ask your solicitor friend how he knew this? I mean every surely that's an exageration to say the least :roll:
Meg - Sunny by nature

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Probably on the basis that 'it takes one to know one'!

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:36 pm

And what about Customs Men, with all the liquids that are being confiscated, where are all they going, a lady who i work with bought a large bottle of very expensive designer skin cream, ( she had just done an around the world trip) and got it taken off her at Customs.
I know she was silly, what with all the adverts advising of the do's and don'ts, but with traveling for a long time she just completely forgot the rules.
Where do's it all go? I can't imagine someone pouring that and all the confiscated bottles of spirits down the sink.
Jenny

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:19 pm

My friend works for the Crown prosecution service as an in house counsellor, and of course it's over the top to say that every officer is bent, but it is rife, he prepared the briefs for 16 prosecution cases against serving prison officers, last year alone, they are mostly tried in camera as it's obviously very embarrasing for the government, but I do believe it's a huge problem, you have only to look at the number of reports regarding drugs and alcohol in prison to know that there has to be some substance [sic] behind it, After all how DO the drugs and alcohol get there?

Beachcomber, sorry, I don't understand your remark so am unable to comment
Ah! the full english!!