Help .... Dad's mobile home?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bunnycd

Help .... Dad's mobile home?

Postby bunnycd » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:55 pm

This is my first post and I really hope someone can help. My partners dad has a 3 bedroom mobile home in torrevieja and we have been on holiday a number of times and decided that we would like to live near or around this area from Sept 08.

I got a phone call last week from his dad who told me that he is selling the mobile home (in torrevieja) and the price is £75,000 freehold, I said "wow that is expensive" and he then told me that other people on the site have their property on the market for £89,000! The park has a swimming pool and a bar but the roads are not finished and there was a burnt out car when we were out there last - the mobile home is fantastic but the park is a bit rough.

His place is nice and big with a small patio/garden and 2 double bedrooms, a living room, box room, kitchen, bathroom (with Shower only) and out kitchen. We really love it but it is still very long walk from main torrevieja around 40 minutes. I have checked on various estate agent sites and this seems rather steep but I cannot find anyone selling mobile homes, they all seem to be bricks/or apartments.

We are unable to afford £75,000 and was looking to spend around £45k - do you think we will find one for this price?

Do does anyone know how much mobile homes are (on adverage) around the torrevieja area and can anyone recommend where to look in order to buy one/ or another lovely place by the coast. I tried the Costa sol news (online) but this does not seem to be updated very often. Thanks so so much in advance for any advice. Love bunnycd xxx

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:59 pm

a 2 bed mobile home is around €26,000 but you need the land to put it on :)

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:23 pm

I think that sounds very expensive. We have a mobile home in France - top of the range - that cost 44,000 euros. I know that there are companies in Spain that offer similar homes at that sort of price. Try a google search. Don't forget to factor in the site charges, which are usually quite high. Also, of course, mobile homes tend to lose value quite quickly. We are actually hoping to buy a village house in Spain which will work out cheaper in the long term. Good luck.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am

You say you want to live in it from September but for how long?.Ive never stayed in a static caravan for longer than a week and i don't think i could for any longer than that.Might be an idea to ask on another forum that has people from nearer the Costa Blanca as to any sites that have static caravans for sale but if i were you ide be investing in bricks and mortar cos you may live to regret buying on a site that is a bit rough. :cry:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 am

Take a look at http://www.campinglosgallardos.com a British run site in Almeria. They have resales for about €60,000 on their website and some priced in £'s, pictures of the homes too so it will give you a good comparison to your Dad's. They also do short term lets so you can try before you buy.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:49 am

Remember three things.
(1) The park may not have planning permission for use as an" all the year round" occupied site.
(2) It may not have planning permission at all.
(3) You may only have a monthly agreement and be in the unfortunate position of being ejected with nowhere else to go! This actually happened in Manilva at Camping Chullera, an all the year round occupied site whose tenants, some of whom had lived there in excess of 25 years and had spent serious money improving their homes, were given 6 weeks notice to quit, when the land was sold for development. A legal challenge was mounted and an offer of a reasonable cash sum , "without prejudice" as they say, was eventually made by the owners of the site to the home owners. (A good amount but not enough to relocate to more permanent accommodation and I have not heard whether the money has actually been paid.)

deidrev
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deidrev » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:04 am

The reports regarding Camping Chullera can be seen here. http://tinyurl.com/2lxuvo
Where there's a will, there's a way!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:20 am

My brother bought a mobile home just under a year ago from a company in France, it was a pre owned mobile home which was used in the tourist industry. It cost him just over €3000, and then a further charge for delivery to Andalucia. It is not a small thing and it has two bedooms, bathroom with shower, and a kitchen. The lounge and kitchen are fully equipped and the mobile home has air con and heating.

Now for me living in a mobile home all year round, would not be my idea of bliss, but my brother is somewhat of an eccentric and previously lived on a yacht. However his yacht was not perched on top of a mountain in Andalucia and is does get very cold here.

I can put you in touch with the company that he bought his mobile home from, if that would be of any use to you. I would say though that you would need to find a site that you know has all the permissions in place before you commit to a purchase.

Perky
Tourist

re dads mobile Home

Postby Perky » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:01 am

PM me I may be able to give you some unbiased advice and contacts.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:02 am

try a company called Benimar, they are spanish, based at benicarlo on the east coast. excellent quality homes.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 am

I don't know how long this link will remain, knowing the management's paranoia about sites they perceive as "competitors", but here is the full story!

http://tinyurl.com/2obj9b

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:44 am

I have friend who own a mobile home on the Costa Blanca. They have had many problems with the site owner and would like to relocate. The site owner will not let anyone onto the site to tow the home out. He insisits on having it moved himself and wants to charge 2,000€ for moving it to the gate!
I would suggest that when you find a site you spend time talking to other owners to see how they feel about living there.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:57 am

pigs-might-fly wrote:I don't know how long this link will remain, knowing the management's paranoia about sites they perceive as "competitors", but here is the full story!

http://tinyurl.com/2obj9b

Sorry that link is the same as posted above!

Sandi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sandi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Bunny, Forget Torrvieja, costa del sol much nicer area!! A friend has a double unit mobile home for sale here, it is on a 1000 sq.mt rented plot in the Guadalhorce valley, (between Coin, Alhaurin El Grande and Cartama), approximately 30 mins to the coast and Malaga Airport. There are about 4 similar plots on the "urbanisation", they share water, electric and broadband internet costs, all owned by English families. Their home is fully equipped, even down to fly screens on doors and windows, very comfortable to live in, being light and spacious, all 3 bedrooms are doubles, with 2 bathrooms and a utility room. Good quality furniture is included in the price of €52,000. If you want pictures/or to view, send me a pm with email address.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:33 am

Don't wish to sound cocky or snobby here but personally I wouldn't touch a mobile home with a barge pole, they can't be comfortable for long periods can they, I think the only reason they exist is because peolpe buy them thinking they're a cheap alternative to proper housing but remember they deteriorate very quickly, after 15 years they can't be resold because they're worthless, for 40-45 grand and a thirty minute walk from Torrevieja you can buy a small village house and do it up a bit, in ten years it'll probably worth three times that, forget the caravans, and remember if you live in a "Trailer" you will have to start watching "The Bold and the beautiful" and "smackdown" and buy a banjo and fiddle :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:39 am

it is on a 1000 sq.mt rented plot in the Guadalhorce valley
so how much is the rent'? and how long can the double unit mobile home stay there? Is it a legal caravan site?
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:34 am

one to know:-

To work in spain you require a NIE number (not sure if you intend to work or not) however if your address is a campsite the authorities will not issue you with this, you need a permanent address.

A friend at work had this problem, the company could not employ them without this number (the national police issue this number for tax purposes). In the end they had to rent a house so they could work legally and earn a living.

I may have the wrong end of the stick you, may be rich and not need to work.

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Sandi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sandi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi Silver & Ian
Just checked with our friends, they confirmed that the site is legal, complete with paperwork, showing the plots to each be large, fully fenced and gated. There is no end date for the land, and the mobile home came with a 10yr guarantee on workmanship, but of course, they last for years in this climate. (Theirs is 2+ years old.) It is not a "campsite", there are no pools or bars, just 5 English couples getting on with their lives. And to the person who isn´t "snobby" but is :evil: , on our friend´s behalf, I extend a personal invitation to visit, and be very pleasantly surprised! If you need more info or would like to see photos, please pm your email address.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 pm

Resale mobile homes are usually more expensive than new ones as they have a plot already usually with a patio/decking and air con/heating etc etc etc. Daltons weekly have a good selection of mobile homes for sale and you could do a google search for them, should get loads of results!

Good luck and do bear in mind what advice everyone gives you especially re NIE numbers etc :D

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Sandi wrote:Hi Silver & Ian
Just checked with our friends, they confirmed that the site is legal, complete with paperwork, showing the plots to each be large, fully fenced and gated. There is no end date for the land, and the mobile home came with a 10yr guarantee on workmanship, but of course, they last for years in this climate. (Theirs is 2+ years old.) It is not a "campsite", there are no pools or bars, just 5 English couples getting on with their lives. And to the person who isn´t "snobby" but is :evil: , on our friend´s behalf, I extend a personal invitation to visit, and be very pleasantly surprised! If you need more info or would like to see photos, please pm your email address.
In between Alhuarin Le Grande and Coin, I would not visit if you paid me (little Engalnd with 30% british population). Evetbody I know who lived anywhere near there have left there.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!