CAN ANYBODY HELP US PLEASE

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

CAN ANYBODY HELP US PLEASE

Postby waterlily » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi there

We have a very sad and serious situation. We are having to go back to the UK in about 8 weeks time. I wont go into details but suffice to say we have to relocate back asap.. We are all devastated and are coming to terms with it as best we can.
We have a huge and upsetting problem, whilst living here, like so many of you, we have aquired a number of dogs who have become much loved family pets. We have 8 beautiful dogs and unfortunatley are not able to come with us. At the most we can take 2 but have to go through the 6 month blood test etc etc.
Can anybody please please offer them a good home. Its heartbreaking for all of us, especially the children. I cannot bring myself to take them to rescue homes etc, I need t know they are going to be loved and looked after like we have done.
Please can anybody help. I am pretty desperate. Even if you know of somebody that can home one of our beloved pets.

Thanks

Waterlily x

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:40 pm

Very sorry to hear of your situation. There is a rescue centre in Nerja that offers a rehoming service, often to Scandinavian/N. European countries. I don't know their details but maybe somebody from that neck of the woods might. I wish you all the best.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

dogs

Postby Julie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:36 pm

Maybe if you post a description, age, color,size, temperament etc, it may help.
Good luck

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Waterlily,
So sorry to hear of your situation and hope you can work it out. If you are near Nerja try:
Seacrest Kennels www.seacrestkennels.eu Tel: 95 252 14 26 as they work along with Cas (Costa Animal Society) www.casnerja.org and they often find new homes for owners ask for Laura or Kurt.
Or try the Donkey Sanctuary who also rehome dogs and cats. http://www.sepe-nerja.org/

Wishing you all the best.
Sadie

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:45 am

All the animal charities I know are very caring and your dogs would be well cared for.
A lot of the animal charities share information about animals in their care.
This means that there is far more chance of animals being re-homed.
The problem however is lack of space and money to do as much as they would like.
If a charity helps you by taking the dogs in please help them by giving them some much needed cash - as much as you can afford.
Many of them operate stalls at markets and are grateful for donations of bric-a-brac, clothes, book etc.
So if you can give them things to sell that will also be appreciated.

Good luck in your return to the UK.

waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

our dogs

Postby waterlily » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:06 am

Hi

Thank you so much for your responses.

I shall be contacting the animal rescue centers as suggested, although its not something I wanted to do. Maybe its me, but the thought of taking the dogs and leaving them there is just very upsetting. Of course we would help out monetary wise and we certainly have gathered enough brick a brac etc to offer if it will help.

I'm sorry, I did not even think about descriptions of the dogs when I posted, was just too upset but here goes.

We have 2 beautiful Lab crosses, the Mum came over with us but was killed just after she had her pups. They are a year old and have a lovely temperament, albeit a little boisterous. It would be ideal for these two to stay together as they are very close and love nothing more than a rough and tumble. We want to take these to the UK with us but they need to stay until the 6 months blood test is all clear, so a temporary home would be ideal. They are male.

Tiny Yorkshire terrier cross. Very timid and loving. Would fit in your pocket. Not a yapper but likes nothing more than to curl up on your lap. Lovely temperament.

Medium size Brindle Spanish cross dog. Affectionate and loving. This dog loves space to run and be wild. She is a bit of a barker if on your land and spots anybody. She has been spayed and is very loyal.

Two small dogs that need to stay together, again we are taking them back to the UK and they need a temporary home. One is like a small jack Russell with the typical long nose. The other a fluff ball that looks like a miniature lion. Both good temperaments and loving dogs.

Small chubby terrier type dog, good natured and loyal. Black and white and very inquisitive.

The last dog we have found a home for and I am very grateful.

All of the dogs are going to the vets on Monday for updates of all jabs and general health etc. We did not anticipate returning to the UK so the rabies jabs will be given next week.

I hope this helps anybody who may want to re home or temporarily keep them until we can bring them back to the UK.

Thank you

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:41 am

The rescue centres sometimes have foster homes as well, necessary because so often the shelters are full.

Some have websites as well and may be willing to put your dogs photo's and descriptions on their sites for you, though they might ask you for a donation for doing this.

Good luck with the move and I hope you find good homes for all the dogs.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

dog

Postby Julie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:47 am

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:56 pm

So sorry to hear of your situation, I will ask around but everyone I know has already taken in animals in need of a home, but I can try,

Heston
Resident

please help

Postby Heston » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:28 pm

I am so sorry to hear your situation I will ask around up here Good luck
xx

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Waterlily, I sympathize with your situation.

I’ve re-homed a few dogs by taking them to the local market or car boot sale.

If you go down this avenue, don’t wait for people to come to you, you approach any potential new owner you see. Then think how an estate agent would go about it, give them a sob story and only mention the dogs good qualities, be friendly, be a bit cheeky, make them think they can’t live without these dogs, if and when you realise they don’t want a dog, don’t waste any more time with them, move onto the next friendly looking face.

It isn’t easy and it is heart breaking.

I wish you all the very best.
gretch

gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gente » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:08 pm

:shock: Dear Gretch remind me never to buy a house from you!!!You sound like a dodgy estate agent. Please do not take Gretch,s advice there are much more responsible ways to home your dogs and tell people about their bad points to save any problems in the future and help to ensure your dogs go to a suitable home. Gretch sounds like he/she is suggesting you pass the buck.There are many people that may potentially say they will provide your dog with a good home, a countryside home here does not necessarily mean the same as in England, here it can mean chained up in the hot sun with no food and water only being visited by your owners once a week when they visit for the weekend as unfortunatly so often is the case. :shock: :shock:

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:43 pm

gente. Oh dear, you seem to have taken some of my comments just a little too seriously.

Where I live, the rescue centres are always full; it’s up to the individual to do their best to find a ‘good home’ for abandoned or badly treated animals, the alternative is often unthinkable.

This is a viable way to find a new home for animals, because as I say, “you approach potential new owners” therefore you check them out first, and you decide if they are suitable or not. There shouldn’t be a problem telling a ‘suitable’ new owner all the dogs’ characteristics.
However there’s no way of knowing for sure, how an animal will be treated after you pass them on, be it direct or through a rescue centre.
gente wrote: a countryside home here does not necessarily mean the same as in England, here it can mean chained up in the hot sun with no food and water only being visited by your owners once a week when they visit for the weekend as unfortunatly so often is the case. :shock: :shock:
It’s not just a Spanish problem, there is much cruelty to animals in Britain too; the number of charities dedicated to animal welfare bares this out.

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 pm

how sad :( it was because of our dogs that we had to stay and extra 6 months. :( I don't know what to say apart from if you do have to bring them to a "home" be very very careful. Is there any way you can take more than two with you?

btw when you return trying to intergrate spanish campo dogs to a english lifestyle is a nightmare lol.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:09 pm

gretch wrote:Waterlily, I sympathize with your situation.

I’ve re-homed a few dogs by taking them to the local market or car boot sale...

How does that work then Gretch , what, you approach a nice looking couple and ask them if they want a dog, why not go one better and offer them a scratch card and then tell them they've won one :roll:

Whilst I sympathise with Waterliliy's plight I would always question the wisdom of having multiple animals when you're a long way from home!
Ah! the full english!!

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:04 pm

Not really sure that would work very well. But hey, Waterlily says she's desperate, so I’m sure she appreciate any positive comments.