Madeline McCann

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mick » Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 am

This is very similar to the Soham murders in 2002, then both girls were reported missing within hours of disappearing, after a massive search the bodies were found 13 days later, both had been killed by Huntley on the day they went missing.

I'm afraid to say this is probably the case with Maddie.

mick

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Fri May 18, 2007 11:12 am

My hope is that www.brianspredictions.com (as posted by someone else earlier in the thread) is right and she will be returned by the couple who originally paid to have her kidnapped......

Also....I watched the russian guy be interviewed on SkyNews last night and I have to say it stank!!!! (sh*te journalist/questioning too I thought)...

Correct me if I am wrong but if I had been innocently caught up in this thing simply because of a "client" for whom I had performed work was also caught up in it, I would be standing in front of the camera saying...."I can't believe it, all I did was build a website for the guy, and talk with him on friday about the footy on saturday etc etc"....All his "no comment" and "I can't answer that B*llshi*e" just seemed to me not how someone would behave in this circumstance!!!!!
from La Cala with love...........

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri May 18, 2007 11:35 am

peteroldracer...a good argument..you could be right...but to sit back and do nothing has not worked for others before...in my mind public awareness brought forward by this case can only help stop this kind of thing happening again.
Statistically, most child abductions are surely carried out by disturbed and/or desperate people - mostly women - rather than a criminal gang of baby-snatchers.
I did not know this statistic.
should the abductor(s) want to return the child.
I think this would be as easy as it was to take the child ...without contacting the family or the authorities...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Yes, silver - it was more of a remembered perception than a known statistic - it is just that I can vaguely think of several "baby/child taken from pram/hospital/nursery" stories, and only the ones in Belgium as proven criminal, rather than psychiatrically-disturbed causes - I could of course be completely wrong.
As for the comments re the suspects/witnesses, we must remember that many times we are being told that the law in Portugal does not allow comments during an investigation - a rather refreshing change to the usual trial-by-media rather than investigation then trial in a courtroom, with due protection to those involved until a verdict is reached.
You may not trust all policemen, but surely you trust them more than a journalist!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri May 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Going off on a tangent from what Peter said, I thought it was maybe not such a good ploy to release the details of the bleeding eye.
As commentators had said the abductor/abductors may change her appearance by trimming hair etc., which led me to believe she may be taken out in public "in disguise"

With this info. being put about I don't think if she is being held in Europe the kidnappers would now risk that.

I just thought it was a good opportunity to keep this quiet, and if a member of the public had suspicions about a child who bore a resemblance to Maddie then the police, or whoever took the call could then have then mentioned the eye to confirm sighting.........would have worked particularly well if she was in a cafe or somewhere where caller could check, can't see that happening now though :cry: .

Kenny

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri May 18, 2007 12:55 pm

peteroldracer
You may not trust all policemen, but surely you trust them more than a journalist!
:?: :roll:
Campo Kenny
the abductor/abductors may change her appearance by trimming hair etc., which led me to believe she may be taken out in public "in disguise"
with all the photos around I doubt very much that she would be taken out.. :( [/quote]
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 pm

I see the fund for Madeline has been set up on the website: http://www.findmadeleine.com/news/fund.asp

I am certainly not rolling in money, but have added to that fund - every little helps.....

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri May 18, 2007 10:24 pm

While having sympathy for all concerned, I think the public's reaction is totally O.T.T.
It reminds me of the hysterical and un-British outpouring of "grief" on the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.How can one grieve for a person one does not personally know? Feel sorry - yes, but no more.
Messages on forums all over the world, most of their normal topics having nothing at all to do with anything remotely connected to this subject, have appeared. Each poster is trying to out-do the others in their crocodile tears and "prayers".
What happened to decent privacy of feelings?
Britain is following the U.S.A in this, as in many other things, in becoming a nation of mawkish sentimentalists!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Fri May 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Pigs? Get yout tin hat ready.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Yes, I totally agree, I have had e-mails and text messages which makes me doubt my choice of friends. I have also had a peek at the web page set up to raise funds, the terms of reference/objectives of the fund are very broad and as an ex-charity accountant I would be very unhappy with the set-up. Any tragedy that happens now the answer seems to be to set up a fund, given that the main contributors to these emotive collections are the less well-off such as pensioners It makes me feel very uneasy. Money does not right a wrong, the huge reward offered did not bring results so why the fund? Didn't take long to set up a limited co. either.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri May 18, 2007 11:25 pm

A very poignant interview I thought was broadcast the other night. The mum and dad of the BBC journalist kidnapped by the fundamentalist group. They were so dignified and humble but obviously out of their mind with worry for their childs safety. I can only imagine how they must feel about the razamataz surrounding the equally awful events in Portugal.

It's no doubt gripped a lot of people, similar as a previous poster said to Dianas accident.
In our local late shop yesterday the lady cashier was chatting to a customer about the case and she said in all seriousness "we all have to focus"
It just came across to me as a shallow thing to say and just repeating the brainwashing on TV that has gone on for a fortnight..........it just didn't seem to mean anything other than being the "correct" thing to say.
A lot of ordinary family people I speak to are uncomfortable with how it's panning out and the media led show of falseness.
Every decent sane minded person wants to see a safe and happy ending to this case but they may not want to publicly wail.

Kenny

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 19, 2007 10:00 am

About a three-second mention on this morning's BBC TV News. All of a sudden, a football match has become the most important thing in the world. Perhaps the budget for hotels, flights, car hire and bar bills for journos in Portugal has run out? Who would bet against the lead story in the Sunday comics being some "starlet" whose boobs dropped out as she got into a car outside a nightclub......?
It's a strange world.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat May 19, 2007 10:35 am

Peter, why is it strange, **** happens and the press milk it for all it's worth and then when a bigger story comes along that's it, things never change, people do get bored with the same story and the press and news channels know it.
On a review of todays papers on the news last night, the editor of the Guardian (name has slipped my mind at the mo) came out with some serious comments.
He had no axe to grind and was indeed full of sympathy and deep rooted feeling for all affected by the kidnapping, but he was bemused at how it had hogged the limelight for just so long, and the almost mass hysteria it has created.

He went on to say what serious events and loss of life had occured at home and abroad during this time and that these issues never recieved a mention.
He forecast that the media are just waiting for the next "big story" and all the focus will switch.

It is very similar to this thread in reality, in the first few days the postings were coming thick and fast, but have now slowed down to a trickle.
Sad for the people involved but the world does move on and the press are on the hunt for the next big story.

Kenny

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sat May 19, 2007 11:15 am

pigs-might-fly wrote:While having sympathy for all concerned, I think the public's reaction is totally O.T.T.
It reminds me of the hysterical and un-British outpouring of "grief" on the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.How can one grieve for a person one does not personally know? Feel sorry - yes, but no more.
Messages on forums all over the world, most of their normal topics having nothing at all to do with anything remotely connected to this subject, have appeared. Each poster is trying to out-do the others in their crocodile tears and "prayers".
What happened to decent privacy of feelings?
Britain is following the U.S.A in this, as in many other things, in becoming a nation of mawkish sentimentalists!
I agree 100% been wanting to say that but havent found a way to phrase it without appearing cold and unsympathetic.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sun May 20, 2007 11:24 am

Kenny, I don't know if it was the same article in the Guardian but I read a very similar one on Friday. One of the statistics given in the piece said that 450 children had gone missing in Britain since Madeleine McCann had been kidnapped. My thoughts on reading that were what is being done for them? Very little I suspect :(

Everyone would like to see a positive outcome to this but no more than that any missing child is returned to safety.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Mon May 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Surprised that the police are asking for holidaymakers photos after all this time and not before now. :roll: Just in case anyone was there or knows of someone who was in the area in the weeks running up to the abduction you need to upload them to this link:

www.madeleine.ceopupload.com

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:34 pm

The Mccann's will be on crimewatch tonight, BBC1 apparently - heartbreaking that they still can't find their little girl....

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:00 pm

lots of developments and leads since the girl disappeared... it seems that none of them are being taken seriously tho?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Why do you say that? I thought the Portugese police gave no details away as to what was being taken seriously and what was not.

Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:11 pm

She will probably be spotted all over the globe by the end of the summer. Sadly I think she is dead. :(