Leroy Merlins

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
mickhick

Leroy Merlins

Postby mickhick » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:01 am

We had to take some friends to the airport on Saturday evening and decided to drop into Leroy's whilst over there. We couldn't believe how busy it was, most of the crowd seemed to be Spanish. Is this normal? I cannot imagine B&Q being packed at 9pm on a Saturday! :)

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:32 am

It's amazing how the concept of DIY has come into spain in recent years.

When we first got our place, it was very hard to get hardware and diy stuff . We used to bring every thing out on the plane. I think leroy is great.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:16 am

Sat evening is the busiest time for spanish shoppers in the large centres, food as well. Also seems busier because they take the whole family along, grandparents, the lot.

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:37 pm

Saturday night in the Eroski centre (Valez Malaga) is manic. You would think they were giving things away free.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:26 pm

B&Q would not be packed at 9pm on a Saturday, because unlike Spain it will be open for the permitted hours on a Sunday - just when needed by most working DiY ers.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:48 pm

peteroldracer wrote:B&Q would not be packed at 9pm on a Saturday, because unlike Spain it will be open for the permitted hours on a Sunday - just when needed by most working DiY ers.
... but fortunately Spain still retains some semblance of family values and (largely) retains Sunday as a day of rest. Long may it continue!! :) :wink:

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:02 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Chalky. Alas Sunday shopping is creeping in. Big mistake in my opinion. :cry:

spanish biker
Andalucia.com Amigo

shopping

Postby spanish biker » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:06 pm

i am 100% behind you on that one safeashouses, i prefer the sunday as is , rest family food and a beer or 3 . :D
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:11 pm

Do agree that lack of Sunday (and in many cases Saturday afternoon) shopping is nice - it makes the weekend more special. However, many of the large shops and commercial centres down here on the coast are now open 7 days a week (including fiestas) throughout July and August. Gives us more time to keep seeing the same old things in the Rebajas - anyone else think that 2 months of Sales is too long?
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm a bit pee'd off with Leroy Merlin at the moment. I bought an auto pool cleaner that just sat at the bottom of my pool and wouldn't move. I prodded it and poked it but it still wouldn't move so I took it back, waited in a very long queue and finally got my money back. Then I bought a large mirror in a wooden frame for the bathroom. When I got it home the frame was bent and the mirror was under stress. The result was that our reflections were like something out of a funfair hall of mirrors (no comments please). Took it back, waited in a very long queue and got my money back. Then I bought a water pump with home management system on it. When I gave it to my plumber to fit, he rolled over laughing and told me that someone had pinched all of the working parts out of the pump. Haven't took it back yet but expect very long queue.

Gin Monster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Gin Monster » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:41 pm

Look on the bright side...at least you keep getting your dosh back :D ...in the UK you would get fobbed off telling you to contact the manufacturer etc etc

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:41 am

Very true.
Last edited by teralin on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 am

Hopefully the likes of Leroy Merlin won't put the decent ferreterias out of business as they are woefully uncompetitive on price and quality of goods. I've used them a couple of times and have regretted it later finding the same products locally (admittedly a bit harder to find) at lower prices.

The ferreteria in Colmenar has only let me down once by not stocking a door closure (Leroy Merlin didn't stock any either) and is generally competitive.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:49 am

Agree 100% there. Leroy Merlin's is the Spanish B&Q and I don't say that as a recommendation.
Grouser