GPS in cars

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

GPS in cars

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 pm

It seems that the Trafico are trying to limit the use of GPS navigation systems in cars.

This is what I read on a news site.

Spain’s Traffic Authority, DGT, has said that it plans to act against the use of GPS Satellite Navigation systems in cars.

The DGT consider that it’s a contradiction to fine people who are distracted when driving by using their mobile phones, but not to do so when people program their GPS system, a process which can often take some 30 seconds to complete.

They propose fines of up to 300 € and the loss of three driving points for those who program the GPS while the vehicle is in motion, and are therefore studying changing the Spanish Ley de Seguridad Vial to add the GPS to the list of serious infractions.

The head of the DGT, Pere Navarro, has confirmed the intention and reminded the press that it was distractions which cause more than half of the accidents on motorways during the months of July and August in Spain.

The DGT has also written to the manufacturers of GPS systems asking them to adapt their devices to ensure that they cannot be programmed when the vehicle is in motion.

Navarro admitted however that it would take the manufacturers some time to respond to that, and in the meantime fines would have to suffice.

Personally I do not use one as I usually know where I am going. :D

However some users may find this to be a potential problem.

Sid

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:48 pm

I wonder what the taxis will make of this as many now have GPS, I find that I do not need to re program whilst driving but can see the logic for comparing it with using a telephone whilst driving.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:55 pm

Very interesting Sid,

My navigation system is called W.I.F.E., regularly goes wrong, and some how I always end up in shopping malls, where I end up spending loads of money...It also causes me to stop at just about every loo I pass, just in case there isn't another one for miles....However it makes great sandwiches and flasks of coffee, and chatters incessantly, which stops me from nodding off.....I've had this system for a long time and have no intention of trading it for a Tom Tom or similar GPS... :oops:

Gin Monster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Gin Monster » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:23 pm

and presumably Benidorm...it sits quite happily in the back seat giving you the directions :P

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:43 pm

I only use my sat-nav when I am going somewhere unknown. Presumably it is marginally less dangerous than balancing a map on one's knee and stealing glances at it whilst driving.

However, it also acts as a hands free device for my mobile telephone in one of my cars. I would agree, though, that if it has been programmed properly at the outset there is no need to reprogram it during a journey.

Perhaps the same premise should be applied to operating a car radio/CDplayer, adjusting the air-conditioning, rear view mirror or lighting up a cigarette whilst driving or even changing gear to take it to a ridiculous extreme.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 pm

In other words, Beachcomber, perhaps someone should be taking a long hard look at the standard of driver training here in Spain? I have no personal experience of driver training here, I am going purely on my own observations of the generally appalling standard of roadcraft - tailgating, lack of indication or proper use of mirrors, lack of lane discipline, excessive speed in built up areas, red light jumping, ignoring pedestrian crossings, excessively loud in-car entertainment (a distraction in itself), and don't even get me started on illegal parking.......the sheer number of road users who don't bother with seatbelts or crash helmets shows the general lack of understanding of the potentail dangers and also of the responsibility invloved in using a motor vehicle. I think you're right Beachcomber, someone is missing the point.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elkimbodude
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elkimbodude » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54 pm

ive got a tomtom fully updated and it even detects the nearest speeding cameras and meeters..so awesome.. :)