Noisy Dogs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:40 am

Just in case they ever go quiet (some chance!) and you start to miss them, you can listen to some here, plus some mating frogs as well!!! :D
http://www.earthoria.com/
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:55 pm

katy wrote:Sorry but I don't see any positives in living alongside a barking dog. I agree that it may be impossible to stop the barking but I would not stay there. Even it something were to be done, (taking the dog away etc.) these idiots would just get another one.
I did move, from where we had one barking dog. Now we have two. :evil:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:46 pm

This is one of my dislikes about living in Spain. I had a big dog very near to me that barked incessantly all day long. Left outside on its own bored out of its head. The owners just weren't interested in complaints about it. And it can drive you very nearly over the edge when its day in day out! Luckily for me they moved, dumped the poor dog at the rescue centre.
Bliss I thought, then some new people moved in with a yappy little dog, they leave every door open from every room, and this dog runs all over the house in and out onto each terrace yapping constantly. Doesn't bother the owners. How do you achieve such tolerance is what I want to know.

My friend has put her villa up for sale because of a constantly barking rottweiler next door. But she has lost 2 potential buyers because of the dog, she has now taken out a denuncia against the owners, which may do nothing by the sounds of it.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:10 pm

This thread has actually helped restore a little of my sanity - I was beginning to think it was just me!
This is obviously a very common complaint. It seems nothing short of an utter disgrace. Tolerance? More like ignorance, I think. There is clearly a complete lack of compassion towards animals, which after all are Gods creatures. Is this not supposed to be a pious country?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:46 pm

I agree it is ignorance, but there seems to be no option other than becoming noise tolerant. I even offered to walk the big barking dog as I thought it might get less frustrated if it had a couple of walks a day, and maybe I would be able to train it. Owners weren't interested.
As for the yappy one, I might offer to take that one for a long, long walk :twisted:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Poison in a bit of meat should sort it!
People's quality of life is worth more than any dog!
Bonus - less dog "carp" on the streets!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:58 pm

Hope you meant the meat for the owners and not the dog!

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Nope - the dog :evil: :evil: :evil:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm

pigs-might-fly wrote:Poison in a bit of meat should sort it!
People's quality of life is worth more than any dog!
Bonus - less dog "carp" on the streets!
Warning - Ignorant pig flying...........
Whether that was meant as a joke or not, I hope you slip in some dog "carp" and break a leg. Don't you get it? Dogs only bark because their dumb owners don't understand that being locked up in an apartment 23 hours a day, with no company or entertainment, let alone excercise, does not equate to quality of life for the poor dog.
Poisoned meat for the owners is too lenient.

ex patriot 66
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ex patriot 66 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm

you can actually buy a collar from the vets that stops dogs from barking

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Miro - no, NOT a joke.
I couldn't care less why the sanguinary dogs bark - it's the god-awful noise I care about!
Whatever it takes for some peace! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fewer poxy dogs = less dog crap and less barking. Quod es demonstrandum.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm

ex patriot 66 wrote:you can actually buy a collar from the vets that stops dogs from barking
Don´t tell me, you keep tightening it until it stops barking! :D
Whilst not quite so radical, I´m with "pigs might fly" on this subject. I´m never quite sure why you can so easily get a bad owner, and never a bad dog. Are dogs by nature perfectly well behaved? :? If I had one by me, barking and yapping all day, I wouldn´t be too interested whether it was bad dog, or bad owner, just that it would shut up!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Again today the dog that is out of range of the machine has spent approx 15 mins give or take half an hour or two it seems, barking its head off ( I wish)
We know for a fact that the 2 dogs next door WERE alright till the OWNER sent the male away, he came having been doctered and trained he said to protect his property ! Whilst the machine has surely re trained his dogs for him, they still have their moments, they tend to quieten them now if they are home.

The noise nuisance is horrendous and I cant see why you 'have to get used to it' or to 'tolerate it' or move.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:50 pm

Sorry, I fail to see how me wearing a collar of any type is going to have any effect on these dogs, many of which I cannot even see! :?

The level of ignorance about dog behaviour on this thread is absolutely astonishing. Of course there can be the odd "bad" dog, but never one that cannot be trained. Any dog exhibiting anti-social behaviour, there is a reason. If the owner is too thick or too lazy to bother figuring it out, that is their mistake, not the dogs. We like to see ourselves as the superior species, but if you can't control a dumb mutt, then you must be pretty damned stupid. Very often, the problem is simply a lack of appropriate attention, and exercise. There is a barking dog living in a small yard next to our building. It has no company, since the owners are never home. It gets no exercise, since they never take it out, and it is living surrounded by it's own excrement. Hardly conditions that are agreeable to what essentially is a highly energetic, intelligent pack animal. But oh no, the owners cannot possibly be at fault. The dog is just "bad". Come on you morons, wake up.
Last edited by Miro on Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:51 pm

Sounds like the only answer might be the poison sausage? :wink:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:30 pm

ValL wrote: The noise nuisance is horrendous and I cant see why you 'have to get used to it' or to 'tolerate it' or move.
Totally agree you shouldn't have to, but what choice is there, it isn't the same as in the UK where you go off to the council etc etc.
As far as I am concerned most dogs can be trained, but what we are talking about here are owners that are not interested in the welfare of their dogs or neighbours. Which brings you back to there is nothing you can do about it.
Poisoning an animal (god forbid) doesn't overcome the fact that the problem is the owner, and they would presumably just get another dog that would be treated exactly the same way, resulting in an unhappy dog that barks allday/night.
Maybe poisoning the owners is the answer. :wink:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:04 pm

Thank you Paula. A humane voice of reason at last. There are some who seem to think this is a big joke, but treating animals this way would quite likely land you in jail in other countries. At the very least you could expect a fine and a ban on keeping pets. I wonder what these same people would think about leaving a screaming baby home alone all day. Probably blame the baby?
It's a sad fact that there's really very little that can be done about the problem, but killing the animal (or even suggesting it) puts one on the same level as the sick people who are abusing their pets by neglecting to care for them properly.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 pm

There IS something you can do, I said it before, IF the dog is within the range then I have no hesitation in recommending the 'Dog Bark Free' machine. The dogs outside the range of machine are I admit more of a challenge BUT I WILL have peace from dog barking one way or another here.

I will approach the owner even if my spanish is limited and rubbish, I will take copy of court case and result from our solicitor if needs be, I can get him to write to them and if all esle fails I will gather necessary evidence and with all letters etc denouce them.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:26 pm

Absolutely Miro. Poisoning is one of the cases the Civil Guard will come out to. As I posted these sort of owners will just get another dog anyway. To be honest I would rarther poison the owner :x

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 pm

My problem is that the dogs in question live opposite me and there is an arroyo between us. The distance is maybe 100 feet and these machines will not handle that distance. The row goes on from about 8 on the evening until about 3 or 4 in the morning, almost non-stop. After carefully reading all the postings, I am coming to the to the conclusion that only a decent 22 rifle will do the trick. A 100 foot shot would present no difficulty.