Rock/Blues musicians in Andalucia

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 am

Hi Dave,

Saw the following in local papers over weekend and thought of you-

Blues festival in Olula del rio (between Albox and Baza)

blues and Jazz at local restaurants and the Basement Cafe in Garrucha amongst others, venues that are open year round.......

hope it helps.........

Dave Purple
Tourist

Rock & Blues

Postby Dave Purple » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi Just like to say thanks to everyone whos taken the trouble to respond.
The information is a great help, please keep it going!
Its great to hear about the music scene good or bad.
As I dont play Flemenco I thought I might feel a bit left out -only kidding!

My present band have all said they'd love to come and play a mini tour if any gigs are available,but w'ed have to cover our expenses.

Cheers

Dave :D
CHECK OUT MY BAND ALIEN STASH TIN ON www.myspace.com/alienstashtin

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:58 pm

Just had a fantastic night at Casa Maria, Torrox Park. I had heard it was good but have never had a chance to go, till now. Excellent!

Mixed bag of musicians in the middle, but if you like rock, it's well worth the trip. Fantastic drummer (has been known to post on here!) and lead guitar ( young lad, self taught).

Monday night is jam night but apparently the rock group play on the Thursday, BBQ nights. Will report later this week!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:24 pm

Dave - the blues venue in Western Costa Del Sol is Sal's Paradise in Fuengirola. Apart from regular performers, they hold jam sessions. I know it is not the area you are looking for, but if you call them they may be able to put you in touch with venues nearer to you.
Tel 657278778

Cass
Tourist

R & B in Baza

Postby Cass » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi Dave

Just to say that in Baza there are several bars where you would be welcome for jamming sessions. Also just over the damm at La Colonia there is a bar where there are regular jamming sessions, especially for R & B musicians. In lots of the local villages, where unless you live hear you dont know about them, :wink: there are many talented musicians and the more the merrier.
I have lived near Baza for over 3 years and have heard rave reports.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Live music in Torre del Mar

Postby Mowser » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:29 pm

JAKE M wrote:Colin- will contact my brother who lives in frigiliana. he has been but as yet i have not visited them! will let you know soon.
Eventually! The bar is called Rackets. It may also go under the name of saböa. Avenida Andalucía nº 73 Torre del mar.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Retro P wrote:Colin, sorry you weren't impressed at the time, remember they were only kids then, Charisma on not Rory can certainly lay down the licks!

Retro

I assume you know Rory (check shirt/ fender) is no longer with us.

I was at the Albert Hall for Creams farewell concert. Taste were the support if my memory serves.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Rick, yes Ikew that thanks, whenever I mention any great musician I still tend to think of them as being present.

Yes!! Nov 26th 1968 sticks in my mind, I couldn't get bl**dy tickets could I :x :x
Ah! the full english!!

Colinm
Resident

Re: Live music in Torre del Mar

Postby Colinm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:26 am

Mowser wrote:
JAKE M wrote:Colin- will contact my brother who lives in frigiliana. he has been but as yet i have not visited them! will let you know soon.
Eventually! The bar is called Rackets. It may also go under the name of saböa. Avenida Andalucía nº 73 Torre del mar.
Thanks, Jake M/Mowser (? :? ). I'm over at the end of the month so will give them a once over.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:35 pm

I'M JAKE M my brother in frigiliana is MOWSER!!
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Troglodfyae, just noticed your posting from 6 weeks ago re your musical orientation, now I don't have a clue where Pulpite is but, if you fancy a very different night out make your way down to Toni Dallis restaurant at Club Oasis, Marbella, Tony (the owner) will entertain you with live opera while you dine, if you're not familiar with Toni he was a big star in the sixties and he's a good old boy, if your budget allows it check him out, great food and a great experience :)
Ah! the full english!!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Mowser wrote:
Found the place last week, but nothing happening apart from a Jazz/Blues night on Wednesday nights starting 11pm. I arrived in Spain last wednesday night and left again on monday so I can't give an oppinion on the session :cry:
For anyone else interested, Saboa, is just at the Transvia terminal in Torre del Mar.

maybe next time....

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks Retro P will have to pass on that for a while as I need to stay close to home for the foreseeable future, just spent 2nd day at the hospital with my mother who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer, so my forays will be limited until she is well again. Hopefully I will be able to check this out sometime the future.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am

Another one is called VIP. Live music Fridays. It's in the street "Duque de Ahumada."

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey Dave/dudes,

I am playing the odd gig with a rock blues soul band - mostly covers but some originals too. I have no real knowledge about whether or not you could make a living out of music - trouble is where I live there are too many bands chasing too few gigs. And why pay a whole band anyway when you can pay an individual to play with backing tapes? Most punters would probably be happy with karaoke or whatever. My only reservation about moving here was the fact that in my mind all the live music was likely to be where most of the brits are, namely west of Malaga.

Casa Maria's in Torrox does have some great bands on (stonking Norwegian rock band called C4 played there a couple of months ago), plus a jam session on Mondays, as does Bar El Ancla on the costa here every Sunday eve between 6pm and 8.30pm.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue May 13, 2008 9:28 pm

Try Splash in Frigiliana. Next Saturday there's a number of bands playing. Open from 3:00pm till midnight.
Dave

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks Mowser - is that a regular thing or a one-off?

jausten
Tourist

re music andalucia

Postby jausten » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm

we lived there for several years had various bands originals and covers but we play for the love of it not the money but plenty going on just that the standard of musician isn't always as high as UK.

jausten
Tourist

MUSIC

Postby jausten » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 pm

our band www.myspace.com/kittyandthelostboys is coming out to spain end July for a few weeks, so if anybody wants us to play please get in contact through our website. Cheers. xxx