Gecko catcher!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
concorde
Resident

Gecko catcher!

Postby concorde » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Just back in the U.K after nearly 4 weeks in Granada.
Arrived home to find all the monster spiders in our village had taken up squatters rights in our absence.
Having served them with an eviction notice, i.e. a tin of fly spray, we can rest easy for a little while.

Luckily as we have a small village house in Spain, we are not plagued with 'wickies' (our term for creepy crawlies), however we do have the occasional small gecko in the house.

Whilst these do not give me the screaming heebie-jeebies, trying to catch one stuck on the bedroom ceiling at 3a.m. does cause a slight problem, especially after a few bevvies at our local.

Enter, my brave hubby armed only with a multi-coloured sheepskin duster and washing up bowl whilst balancing on the bed captured the beast, and safely turfed it out. all this without the aid of a safety net.

Apart from a childrens fishing net, which is not a thng you see in the local shops in inland Spain, any other bright ideas would be welcome.

kexon
Resident

GECKO CATCHER

Postby kexon » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:40 pm

Yes, leave the poor things alone, they catch and eat all the bugs I dont like!!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks Kexon, I know they eat flies etc but so do spiders!

Since my hubby read somewhere that over a lifetime of sleeping, at least x many spiders ran in and out of one's mouth, he has become paranoid (so have I!)
Therefore, if a fly flew into one's open mouth whilst sleeping, it stands to reason that said gecko would follow.

I'm starting to sound like the "I knew an old lady that swallowed a fly" song.

So, apart from wearing a divers helmet as a sleeping accessory, I was looking for a humane way of evicting the little darlings, and boy, can they move!

Gin Monster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Gin Monster » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Got to agree with kexon...leave them alone. They eat an adundance of flies and mozzies so should be your best friends. They are very timid and will not approach you...you have nothing to worry about with them...and they are kind of cute in an ugly sort of way :lol:

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:40 pm

Best things around to keep the flies down and totally harmless never heard of anyone ever having a problem with these cute creatures :lol:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Thanks for replies, I agree they are quite cute and harmless, but the only other living thing I would like in my bedroom would be George Clooney.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:50 am

I'm the gecko cathcer in our house (I'd rather go down the live and let live route but hubby doesn't like them) and have found small ones will readily crawl into a feather duster and can be evicted complete with tails, but larger ones usually involve a towel and a spot of wrestling! Don't know what our neighbours would have thought the night I trapped one in the linen basket and then proceded to shake next weeks laundry out in the garden!!!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:42 pm

Definitely a mistake to evict them - no matter how hard they are to catch, the increased number of mossies resulting in their eviction (which will bother you far more), will be even harder to catch. But if you must, I reckon a cat is the best. May be pretty hopeless at actually catching them, especially the ones on the ceiling, but boy are they funny to watch trying! :lol:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:46 am

The eviction was for humane reasons as we are not over until December again, I wouldn't want the death, by slow starvation, of Gordon Gecko on my conscience.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:50 pm

:shock: :shock: Concorde.................leave the geckos alone, they are your best mates :!: :!: Honest :!: :!: :lol: :lol:
Don't worry about any evictions because as long as the house is not hematically sealed they will find a way out when they have eaten all the resident insects :!: :!: :P
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:56 am

A gecko seems to have taken up permanent residence behind the huge wardrobe in my bedroom, it moves far too fast for me to catch it with a feather duster or anything else, and the wardrobe is much too heavy to move to try to flush it out. It doesn't really bother me but it doesn't half startle you when you're only half awake and suddenly something moves on the ceiling!

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:56 am

The Spanish think it is lucky to have a Gecko in the house
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Free at last : It serves you right trying to poke the poor little thing with a feather duster. It probably thinks you are Ken Dodd with his tickling stick, and he will have to listen for the next three hours to Doddy jokes. I know, we saw him once in the UK and had to send out for sandwiches after rwo and a half hours. :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead. Try saying that quickly over and over. You'll soon forget all about the gecko. 8)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.