IES La Cala de Mijas Bilingual school

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
deb3812
Tourist

IES La Cala de Mijas Bilingual school

Postby deb3812 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Bi lingual school in la cala

Hi I have been told about a bi lingual school in La Cala de mijas,
I have driven about today but have found all the other schools but not this one it is called IES La Cala de Mijas. Would anybody happen to know whereabouts it is. I thought it could have been up near the hipodromo but I couldnt find it.
Regards
Debbie :)

RitaW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bi-lingual school

Postby RitaW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi Debbie,

My son age 7 has just started school at El Chaparral in La Cala De Mijas. There is a secondary school next door. El Chaparral is a designated bi-lingual school (Spanish/English). I am quite pleased with the primary school but know nothing of the Secondary school.

To get to the school you go from La Cala town centre and under the A7. At the roundabout take your second right as if going to the Mercadona. Carry on up the hill past Mercadona. The Primary School is at the first junction. Go past it further up and you will come to the secondary school. The schools in La Cala are closed for fiesta on Monday, but open again Tuesday.

Hope this helps,

Rita

RitaW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Web site information

Postby RitaW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi again,

I just found IES La Cala De Mijas via the Junta De Andalucia web link to the Department of Education.

Here is the school web site

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/averroes ... lademijas/

Rita

deb3812
Tourist

Postby deb3812 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:05 pm

Hi Rita,

Thanks I found the school yesterday, Its a new school i think it opened in 2005 its behind the noria golf apartments at the back of were the market is on a Saturday. So i will go and have a chat with them tomorrow.
Thanks
Debbie
any feedback on this school would be helpful thanks.

daftlamb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daftlamb » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 pm

hi

yes, any feedback on both these primary and secondary schools would be fantastic. my 11 year old daughter and i are moving out dec/jan and this is where we would like her to go. any info would be appreciated and also anything i should be doing now from this end in scotland would be welcome

thanks

lorraine

deb3812
Tourist

Postby deb3812 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi Lorraine,
Well I havent had any feedback on this school but I went to the school today and filled in all the forms, I recieved a phone call a bit later on to say she could start the school tomorrow. So i will keep you informed of how she progresses. The school looks really nice and the teachers we spoke to seemed really nice. My daugter goes into the first year secondary. I will post you again soon or send you a pm ok.
Regards

Debbie

daftlamb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daftlamb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:27 am

that sounds fantastic. was there anything you needed to do in the uk or bring from the uk before hand, or was it just a case of filling out the forms in spain.

lorraine

deb3812
Tourist

Postby deb3812 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Lorraine, just a quick message the best advice i can give you for your daughter is get her spanish lessons before you come over so she can learn as much as possible before you come. When is she 12 my daugter was ten when we came her birthday is in Jan. she went into the year below what she would have been in uk. the school year works from Dec-Dec. You will have to make sure you live in the area because usually that determines the school you get into. Similar to the catchment area in the uk. will post again soon
Debbie

daftlamb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daftlamb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 am

hi, jade is not 12 until the end of august. she knows a little spanish. i would be quite happy if it meant she had to go into the year below what she would be in in scotland so it would be easier on her until she gets more confident with her spanish etc. we are planning on living in calahonda, so i am sure that is within the catchment for la cala (hopefully)

thanks

lorraine

deb3812
Tourist

Postby deb3812 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi Lorraine there is a new primary school in La cala i will find out the name for you. Living in calahonda is great as your in mijas costa so not a problem with the school she will probalby go into the year below so it could be the last year of primary. will find out the name of the school for you. I cant say enough spanish spanish spanish make sure she gets plenty of lessons. It will stand her in good stead.
bye for now i will pm you next time.
Debbie

RitaW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Enrolment Guide in English

Postby RitaW » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi Lorraine,

This link might be useful. It is a PDF guide to enrolling your child in school in Andalucia. Just click on "Guia ingles" and it opens the guide in English. I found it very useful. You will probably have to copy and paste the link as it is quite long. If you can't find it I can email it to you as an attachment.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/educacio ... ,1,1,0,0,0

My children go to school in La Cala de Mijas and we live in Riviera del Sol (Calahonda). The new primary school in La Cala is called Jardin Botanico and has only been open since last year I believe. Currently they only have up to year 2 (age 7 or due to be 7 by the end of this year). I think the school is planning to open up years 3 to 6 next year. They have a web site

www.juntadeandalucia.es/averroes/jardinbotanico/

My son is 8 at the very end of December so has been placed in year 3, as he would have been in UK. As Jardin Botanico don't yet have a year 3 he has gone to El Chaparral and I am very pleased with the support he is getting there. He hasn't been placed back a year. He has all his lessons in Spanish and is slowly beginning to grasp the language.

My daughter was 5 in July and I opted to put her into Los Claveles which is the feeder infants school for El Chaparral where she will go next September. There was a place for her at Jardin Botanico but, as my son was already at El Chaparral, this was the best option. El Chaparral also run a parents school two mornings a week to help non spaniards learn to read and write spanish and they offer an on-line spanish language course with an on-line tutor/support.

I am not a fount of all knowledge, but others passed most of this to me and I just pay it forward.

Regards,

Rita

daftlamb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daftlamb » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:06 am

hi rita

thanks so much that was so helpful

lorraine

jamieson
Tourist

Re: IES La Cala de Mijas Bilingual school

Postby jamieson » Sun May 23, 2010 12:14 pm

i am moving to riveria mijas golf with my 9 year old son on the 25 may 2010. i am confused of where to send my son to school but i have heard good reports about el chapperel school in la cala. is ther any other bilingual school in the area that anyone knoes about. could anyone tell me to put my mind a little at ease about hoe the lessons are taught in class if it is all in spainish some people tell me no some say its half half any information would be very helpful thanks michelle

RitaW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby RitaW » Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Michelle,
Sorry been off line or I would have posted sooner. My kids both go to El Chaparral in La Cala. There are three schools of primary age in the La Cala area. The first is El Chaparral, the second Garcia Del Olmo and the third is Jardin Botanico. El Chaparral is the only designated bilingual (English) school of the three. This doesn't mean the kids are taught bilingual. The format is that a class in each year is a bilingual class made up of Spanish children who are taught half in Spanish half in English, and they are put in the class on a lottery application basis. The remaining Spanish children go in other classes alongside other nationalities. English and other foreign national children are only taught in Spanish although they have English lessons as a subject.

I'm quite happy with the school. It is situated just outside the town centre near to Mercadona supermarket. The kids break up on June 23rd this year, so I don't know if you'll get your child in for the last few weeks of term. You go to the school and ask for matriculation forms which they will give you with a list of other documents you will need. They start again in September.

Garcia del Olmo is just along the road from the park in La Cala and Jardin Botanico is the newest situated behind the Snack Attack cafe. I live up the top of Riviera Del Sol, so if you want to email me when you land I'll give you any more info. Rita

jamieson
Tourist

Postby jamieson » Thu May 27, 2010 12:06 pm

thankuou for your reply i am living rincon de golf riveria going to the town hall tommorow with all paper work and then the police station i will then go to the relavent schools to have a look i dont mind him starting after the holidays as long as i have the ball rolling to get him started after. how old are your children and did they find it difficult and were the teachers helpful. do you no if the other schools are any better then el chapperal the two you mentioned or about the same. thankyou for the information i only can get on line at the moment i am in a phone shop as my laptop isnt connected yet look forward to hearing from you michelle

Lillywhites
Tourist

Postby Lillywhites » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Michelle,

I moved to the area a few months ago and my daughter goes to Garcia Del Olmo school in La Cala. She is in year 6 so is leaving for the institute (High School!) in September. She has settled in to the school well and there appears to be a mixture of nationalities there. The lessons are all in Spanish though. Let me know if you fancy meeting up for a chat anytime...any friends gratefully received! Lorraine x

jamieson
Tourist

Postby jamieson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:13 pm

does anyone know of good football clubs that my son could go to he is ten years old avd a very keen good footballer i live riveria i have heard of a club behind el chapperal school in la cala any information would be good thanks michelle also any activities going on during the school holidays

jamieson
Tourist

Postby jamieson » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 pm

hi sory not been on line been very busy. do you know if i need to get residence , i have NIE number and social security and i am working my son is starting elchapperal school in september is it nesccery for me to get residence. Also do i need to change my uk driving license to aspanish licence i hear all different answers and am very confused any advice would be fantastic thanks michelle

daftlamb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daftlamb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:35 am

hi

as long as you have nie that is fine. after 6 months you really should be on a spanish license if you are here all the time 8)

jamieson
Tourist

Postby jamieson » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:15 pm

hi thanks for your reply are you saying that i dont need to get residence, i have a appointment to get my residence in september so if i dont lose anything by getting that then i might aswell. getting a spanish licence do i surrender my english or get my uk licence stamped, will i be able to drive on a spanish licence in the uk if i visit there. also my car has uk licence, and i think i was told that i would have to change my plates, or if i keep the uk plates i have to take my car ot of spain every six months. thank you forany information is helpful michelle :crazy: :crazy: