Iglesia de Santo Domingo - Cadiz
Iglesia de Santo Domingo is an important church constructed the master builders, Martín Calafate and Bartolomé Ruiz in 1650.
Throughout its history it has undergone various reforms, the first in 1666 by Luis de Lojo, and later again in the mid-eighteenth century. In 1853, Juan de la Vega reformed the side façade that can be seen from the Cuesta de las Calesas. The complex including the Santo Domingo Convent were restored after the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939 by Francisco Hernández Rubio.
The interior decoration of the church is fully Baroque and is presided over by the imposing main marble altarpiece, the work of the Andreoli Brothers from 1691. It is a large alter piece where the four enormous Solomonic columns of black marble separate its vertical panels.
Outside, on a corner of the main façade the church’s powerful tower stands out. It is made from the characteristic Cadiz oyster stone.
Located on Calle Santo Domingo.