Alpandiere is famed as the birthplace of a Capuchin monk, known later as Fray Leopold de Alpandeire. Born on 24 June 1866 as the oldest of four siblings, Francisco Tomas Marquez Sanchez, he became a local celebrity at the turn of the 19th century.
Alpandeire clings to the steep southern side of the Genal valley, very near the source of the river that names the valley. Many springs below the village feed the Genal, which is one of the most important rivers in the region and the subject of no little ecological campaigning.
Under the control of the Kingdom of Ronda during the Moorish period, the town flourished as one of its principle fortresses, 17 kilometres south of the capital. Later, Alpandeire became the refuge of defeated Moorish ruler Hamet el Zegri. It was officially declared an independent village in 711AD.
The Jesuit twin towered Church of San Antonio de Padua is the most striking landmark when approaching Alpandeire. Known locally as the 'Cathedral of the Serrania' due to its size, it was begun by the Bishop of Seville, Diego de Deza, in 1505.