Header Banner - Google Adsense

Olula de Castro

Olula de Castro

A family oil mill that began its activity around 1920 and was in operation until 1970. The mill belonged to Maria Martinez and Isabel Martinez. Many residents of the municipality used the mill to press their locally grown olives to make their annual supply of oil.

Ecclesiastically, Olula belonged to the Castro parish from 1505 to 1782, at which point it was granted its own parish, taking the Virgen de Patrocinio as the Patron Saint. The ceiling of the parish church is formed of wooden beams, however, its central dome is made of stone.

The Festivals in Olula de Castro are Cabalgata de Reyes Magos, Día de Andalucía, Semana Santa and Fiestas en Honor a la Virgen de Patrocinio.

The origins of Olula de Castro date to prehistoric times, evidenced by some rock engravings found at Huerto del Moro or de los Rodeos. Between the seventh and eighth centuries, Romanized and Christian Berbers arrived from Africa, known as Yarawás, under the command of Queen La Kahima, who, settled in the Sierra de los Filabres.

Olula de Castro is a small and tranquil village found 54km from Almería city, at an altitude of more than 1000m. The town is a perfect destination for those who wish to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, and has about 190 inhabitants.