Castillo de Gérgal
The historical antecedents of the castle date back to the Muslim era, due to its great strategic value as a place of surveillance at the crossroads that linked Almería with the Sierra de las Filabres. During the Re-conquest, the Christian troops occupied it and demolished it to prevent uprisings. We know that the reconstruction and modification of the castle took place in the first half of the sixteenth century, since the existence of a castle on the site of the old Muslim fortress is recorded in a 1555 document, with a square plan and semi-circular towers attached at its four corners. The castle played a prominent role during the Moorish rebellion in 1568. Inside, the space is divided into four smaller and equal squares occupied by the different rooms, currently conditioned and used as a home. Located north of the town, off the AL-4405.