Antiguo Convento de Santa María Magdalena de la Cruz - La Guardia de Jaén
Today known as Iglesia Parroquial de la Asunción, the previous Convent of Santa María Magdalena de la Cruz was created under the patronage of Don Rodrigo Messia y Carrillo and Doña Mayor de Fonseca, locals of La Guardia, and was carried out by the friar, Domingo de Valtanás in 1530. The works did not begin until 1542. The stonemason Domingo de Tolosa, Francisco del Castillo “el Viejo” and Andrés de Vandelvira were involved in its construction. Inside, the main chapel and the transept stand out, drawn by Andrés de Vandelvira. After the Confiscation, it became an oil factory and private home. Only part of the gallery is still preserved today, but the midpoint arches molded on fine Ionic columns once filled the whole space. The works of the cloister and side chapels of the foot section were entrusted to Francisco del Castillo “El Mozo” in 1574. The facade was unfinished. Vandelvira made improvements to the original design, adding the main chapel and vault of the transept with a large and beautiful lantern.