Iglesia de San Francisco - Cadiz
This baroque-style church was founded in 1566 and rebuilt in the seventeenth century.
An important reform was carried out in the eighteenth century under the direction of José Francisco Badaraco, which gave the church its current appearance. This reform conceals behind plasterwork and encamped vaults, different old construction elements.
The church belongs to the previous Convent of San Francisco, whose area was occupied by the current Museum of Cádiz, with an orchard in the current Plaza de Mina and a compass in what is now the Plaza de San Francisco itself.
This convent was very important in the fifteenth century in the training of Friars to be dispatched to the Americas including the famous Brother Junípero Serra.
From its original layout, only the chapel with a narrow vault that opens onto the side door and the chapel of the Virgen de la Paz remain.
Inside, its main altarpiece which dates from the end of the eighteenth century is noteworthy; a work of 1763 by Gonzalo Pomar in a rococo style, as well as the Crucified of Veracruz, which some scholars believe was brought to the city from Naples in 1733.
Located on Calle San Francisco.