Jaen Archaeology and Fine Arts Museum
Jaen Provincial Museum
The building of the Museum of Archaeology and Fine Arts, or simply Museum of Jaén, dates from 1920 and was designed by the architect, Antonio Flórez Urdapilleta. It is designed as a square footprint arranged around a central patio. The patio and interior portal, of the lost Iglesia de San Miguel date from 1561.
On the main entrance, the façade of the sixteenth granary stands out, originally from an old building that was located in the square of the same name. It is a portal with a semicircular arch flanked by Corinthian columns that support an entablature.
The Archeology section covers all history, from prehistory to the Hispano-Muslim period. Pieces from the Roman period stand out, with mosaics and with the last pieces found in the excavations of Los Robles.
The Fine Arts section of the Museum brings together works by prominent local artists of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries such as, Rafael Hidalgo de Caviedes, Manuel Ángeles Ortiz, Rafael Zabaleta and Pedro Rodríguez de la Torre, among others. It is one of the most important centers of contemporary engraving in Andalusia, among which the Caprichos by Goya, pieces by Esteve Botei and Ricardo Baroja stand out.
Google arts and Culture have photographed many of the exhibits in the museum. take a virtual tour.
The museum was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, in 1919.
Sunday, Bank Holidays, 09:00-15:00hrs
Tel: 600 143 452
Located on Paseo de la Estación.