Header Banner - Google Adsense

Viator

Viator

Ayuntamiento

The Town Hall is a simple building, and appears two stories high on the outside, the lower floor on the façade being occupied by a porticoed gallery made up of three wide semi-circular arches. It has a symmetrical composition in two colours. Located in Plaza de la Constitutción.

Iglesia de la Virgen de las Angustias

This is a Mudejar church with a single nave covered with armour, dedicated to the Virgen de las Angustias, an invocation represented as “La Piedad”, with the dead Jesus in her arms, as shown in the exterior niche of the portal. Although most of the parishes were established in 1505 within the political-religious program of conversion to the Moors, this is an initiative of Bishop Claudio Sanz y Torres, from the late eighteenth century, motivated by the population growth that made the previous hermitage too small.

Centro de Interpretación Paleontológica

The Interpretation Centre provides visitors with detailed scientific information about the exceptional paleontological heritage of Almería through a chronological series of exhibitions, starting with the origin of the universe, and covering the formation of our planet, the evolution of living beings and contemporary biodiversity. The exhibition space has four rooms with different themes relating to “what the fossils of Almeria inform us", and also has an audiovisual projection room. Located on Calle Pintor Velázquez.

Museo La Fragua

An art gallery designed to hold temporary exhibitions for artists. Located on Calle Garcia Moreno.

Viator is buzzing in October, when the popular Fiesta de la Longaniza is celebrated, coinciding with the pork slaughter season. The town has about 5,980 inhabitants. The name ‘Viator’ indicates a place of transit, road or path, although some believe that the toponym Viator comes from Via Turris, ‘way to the Tower’.