MAPS OF SPAIN
As many people are looking for maps of Spain, we offer a guide to the maps that are available, particularly for Andalucia and southern Spain. Detailed Maps are not generally available in Spain except in specialist shops. The Michelin motoring maps are available in petrol station but not the more detailed larger scaled walking maps.
SPAIN - PRINTED MOTORING MAP
Michelin publishes the best motoring maps of Spain. A motoring map of the whole of Spain at a scale of 1:1.000.000 or 10 kilometres per centimetre is the "Michelin National Map 734: Spain and Portugal 2017". Buy Online
ANDALUCIA AND OTHER REGIONAL MOTORING MAPS
Michelin also publishes more detailed motoring maps of individual areas of Spain at a scale of 1:400.000 or 2.5 kilometres per centimetre as follows:
- Michelin Map 578 Spain: South Andalucia Buy Online
- Michelin Map 571 Spain: Northwest, Galicia Buy Online
- Michelin Map 572 Spain: Northwest, Asturias, Cantabria Buy Online
- Michelin Map 573 Spain: North, Basque Country, Navarra, La Rioja Buy Online
- Michelin Map 574 Spain: Northeast Catalonia, Aragon, Andorra Buy Online
- Michelin Map 575 Spain: Castilla y Leon, Madrid, Spain Central Buy Online
- Michelin Map 576 Spain: Central and West: Extremadura, Castilla-La Mancha, Madrid Buy Online
- Michelin Map 577 Spain: Centre/East Murcia Valencia Buy Online
Here is an example of the detail of these maps:
Provincial motoring and general purpose maps
The Centro Nacional de Informacion Geografica (CNIG) publish provincial folded maps of each of the 47 provincial at a scale of 1:200.000 They were last updated in 2011. A sample of the sheet is shown.
- Huelva Province - Buy Online
- Cordoba Province - Buy Online
- Jaen Province - Buy Online
- Malaga Province - Buy Online
- Cadiz Province - Buy Online
- Almeria Province - Buy Online
- Sevilla Province - Buy Online
- Granada Province - Buy Online
general purpose 1:50.000 maps
The Centro Nacional de Informacion Geografica (CNIG) publish 1:50.000 detailed map for the whole of Spain. This is the equivalent of the UK Ordanance survey landranger series. They were last updated in 2008. A sample of the sheet is shown.
1: 50.000 Sheets
1072 Estepona | 1065 Marbella | 1066 Fuengirola | 1067 Torremolinos | 1053 Malaga | 1054 Velez-Malaga
Detailed Maps of Spain and Andalucia for Walkers, Hikers, Mountain Bikers, 4x4 Drivers and Off-Road Drivers.
Unfortunately good quality detailed large scale maps of Spain showing routes for walking, hiking, and off-road driving are hard to find. The best are the maps produced by Spain's IGN (Instituto Geographico Nacional) and the CGDE (Centro Geografico del Ejercito). They are good geographic maps with contour lines. They are often called "military maps" because of their former use by the armed forces. These maps are often not up to date and often do not show new roads, and they don't clearly differentiate between the quality of rural roads or tracks.
A 50.000 map scale sheet number of 1052, for example, becomes 1052 IV for the 1:25.000 maps according to the diagram.
SPECIAL EDITIONS FOR TOURISTS
Some sheets are grouped together and published as special editions covering specific areas such as natural parks. These larger sheets are much more economic and cost about six Euros. Those for Andalucia are listed below.
- Estrecho de Gibraltar 1:100.000
- Map/Guide Sierra Nevada 1:50.000
- Natural Area Marismas del Odiel 1:25.000
- Sierra Nevada National Park 1:25.000
- Natural Park Cadiz Bay 1:50.000
- Donaña National Park 1:50.000
- Sierras Subeticas Natural Park 1:50.000
- Sierra de los Nieves Natural Park 1:50.000
- Sierra Norte Natural Park 1:100.000
- Cabo de Gata-Nijar Natural Park 1:50.000
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park 1:25.000
- Sierra de Grazalama Natural Park 1:50.000
They can still be difficult to find in bookshops.
Hispania - Map of Spain
From A Classical Atlas of Ancient Geography by Alexander G. Findlay. New York: Harper and Brothers 1849
1030 AD Here is a map of the Spanish Kingdom - Map of Spain
This map of Spain is from the Atlas To Freeman's Historical Geography, Edited by J.B. Bury, Longmans Green and Co. Third Edition 1903.
1519-1556 Spanish Kingdoms Under Charles the Fifth the Holy Roman Emperor
This map of Spain is from the Atlas To Freeman's Historical Geography, edited by J.B. Bury, Longmans Green and Co. Third Edition 1903.