Puente de Hierro de Eiffel
The bridge was built in 1893 as part of the Linares-Baeza-Almería Line, and next to the station to connect Almería with the rest of Spain. It was designed in the studios of the engineer Eiffel, although some sources cite that it was the direct work of Eiffel rather than his pupils. The latest advances in wrought iron were used in its production, together with classic constructions such as quarry stone, reflected in its ten pilasters. It has a maximum height between piles that varies between 31 and 60 meters and a length of approximately 420 meters. The curved termination of the bridge is curious, especially unusual for a structure of its age. On June 1, 1911, this bridge was one of the protagonists of the inauguration of the first electric traction train in Spain by the engineer Enrique Paniagua Porras, who was born in nearby Alboloduy. To provide electric power to the road, a small power station was built under the bridge, initially using coal and later fuel oil, until 1959. Towards 1973, it was replaced by the new bridge, due to the wear suffered by the very high weight of the trains loaded with iron ore coming from the Alquife mines to Almería. Its last reform took place in 1998, adapting it to the passage of vehicles of all tonnage, widening the road and removing the iron railings. Since January 2004, it has been registered and protected as part of the Andalusian Historical Heritage.