HISTORY OF TERQUE
The first cultural settlement of Terque is likely to have been prehistoric, evidenced by the millenary cave town found by the occupants of the Millares, heirs of the Neolithic culture. However, Terque was formerly known as Marchena.
During the Middle Ages, Marchena was known by the Muslim name Marshana, and was part of the colonizing activity and foundation in the Urs Al-Yaman territory of about 20 castles (Urs Al-Yaman being the general name of the Pechina region in the eleventh century). Over time, this configuration established Marchena as one of the most important fortresses in the region. From the thirteenth century, when the Kingdom of Granada was formed, the Taha de Marchena was developed and Terque was a small farmhouse within the Taha.
With the Christian conquest at the end of the fifteenth century and the surrender of Baza and the Capitulations of Almería in 1489, the Taha de Marchena was ceded by the Catholic Monarchs to Don Gutierre de Cárdenas y Chacón in 1494. The earthquake of 1522 destroyed the fortress of Marchena and its inhabitants were divided between Terque and Huécija. Combined with the consequences of the Christian conquest, this caused a population increase in Terque, which acquired the title of Villa, to the detriment of Marchena.
The Moorish Rebellion (1568-1570) brought with it the depopulation of Terque through the expulsion of the Moors from the Kingdom of Granada. The repopulation was carried out in 1573 by old Christians from Castilla-La Mancha, Western Andalusia and Levante. This demographic gap did not recover until well into the eighteenth century.
The abolition of the manors (señoríos) took place in 1835, bringing Terque municipal independence. The late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were characterised by the enrichment of the town by the monoculture of the Ohanes grape.