Castillo de Espelúy
Among the most representative buildings is the castle from the Caliphate era. It was the first written reference to Espelúy from the thirteenth century, when the General Chronicle reported that it was one of the Muslim castles attacked and destroyed by Fernando III “el Santo” in 1224. The castle fulfilled an important mission in one of the key strategic points of control over the Guadalquivir and Guadalimar Rivers. Its most distinctive element is its magnificent keep, with a square plan and two superimposed rooms covered by barrel vaults inside. It was declared a Historical Monument in 1985. In 1993, the Junta de Andalucía granted special recognition to the castles of the Autonomous Community of Andalusia. Today, what remains is the beautiful rectangular homage tower. Located north of the town, at the end of Avenida Felix Rodriguez de la Fuente.