Header Banner - Google Adsense

Iglesia la Natividad - Jamilena

Iglesia la Natividad - Jamilena

The church was built in the second half of the sixteenth century at the wish of Emperor Carlos V. The plans were made in 1559 by Francisco del Castillo “El Mozo”, the prestigious Italian-trained architect, who directed the works until his death, after which his brother, Benito, took over. Construction advanced slowly due to the lack of economic resources and by 1600 it was still not completed. The temple was built, as established by the customs of the Order of Calatrava, on the place occupied by the previous hermitage of Nuestra Señora de la Estrella. The dome near the presbytery preserves seventeenth-century paintings, while those that can be seen on the intrados are from the second half of the twentieth century. The main entrance is reached by a small stairway, above which stands the bell tower. The most significant feature is the mannerist bucranium of the second body of the tower, a kind of ornamental mask with garlands, inspired by Serlio’s drawings, which clearly denotes the authorship of Francisco del Castillo. Declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1994.

Location

Located on CalleIglesia.

Destinations