by Saskia Mier

Nacimiento, which sits over the river of the same name, was most prosperous during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This was due to its importance as a producer of dessert grapes, and the number of country estates rose rapidly during this time as a result. It has about 490 inhabitants.


The town gets its name from the Nacimiento River, which springs up in its municipal area. It is a zone closely linked to the historical events of the Alpujarra and the area of Níjar, and for this reason it was fully immersed in the Al-Andalus culture. After the Christian conquest at the end of the fifteenth century and the subsequent Moorish Rebellion (1568-1570), the Moors were expelled from the Kingdom of Granada and the village was repopulated by people from outside the Kingdom as stipulated by the Decree issued by Felipe II. Due to the continuing conflicts over the use of the waters of the Nacimiento River, the Territorial High Court of Granada decreed on 24 July 1848 that five sixths of the waters from the river belonged to Alboloduy, Santa Cruz de Marchena and Alsodux and the sixth part to Nacimiento.

Like many other villages in Almeria, Nacimiento joined in the cultivation of the Ohanes grape for exportation in the second half of the nineteenth century. For this, it developed a type of construction called a “cortijo”, not to be confused with the normal meaning of this word in the rest of Andalusia as “farmhouse”. These constructions were used exclusively to house implements and the harvested grapes. This type of “cortijo” was built from the end of the nineteenth century and lasted as long as the peak of Ohanes cultivation. Later, they were no longer built and were even abandoned. These “cortijos” were made up of large porches with arches painted in red. Inside were large caves where the wooden barrels full of grapes were kept.


Iglesia de San Miguel
It is believed that construction of this church began around the eighteenth century, and it is unknown when the works were completed. The temple has a cross plan, with three vaults and two doors, the main one, and another on the side called Puerta de los Perdones. After the Spanish Civil War it underwent reformation as it had been partially destroyed. Located in Plaza Dr. Jose Muriana Galindo.(Location)

Ermita de las Ánimas
The chapel is a temple where older people often go to pray, make promises and offer donations. Located at the end of the urban area of Nacimiento, in the Barranco del Moro.(Location)


Peñón de Juraique
The Peñón de Juraique is a rock that is located between two mountains and very famous in the town, since it has been like this for many years, known by all the locals. Many people go hiking on the rock.


As in the rest of the province, Nacimiento offers a large variety of tapas for a small price. Also noteworthy are its excellent cured meats and sausages, and it would be foolish to overlook its pastries, a direct inheritance from the Arab era. Try dishes such as ajo cabañil (chicken stew), gachas (savoury porridge) and migas (fried breadcrumbs served with pork). Sweet treats include mantecados (lard and almond cakes), roscos (doughnuts), soplillos (meringues) and buñuelos (sweet dumplings).


Popular festivals in Nacimiento are Fiesta de San Miguel, Fiestas de Verano, Fiesta de los Tarascos and Fiesta de San Antón. More>


The tourist office of Nacimiento is located in the town hall. More>


The neighbouring villages to Nacimiento are Las Tres Villas, Alboloduy and Gérgal.