To the north of the lake is the village of Periana, on the river Guaro which provides the reservoir with its water. The lush land and excellent climate provide perfect conditions for the lemon and orange groves and cultivation of other fruit trees, enhancing the beauty of the landscape even further.
The excellent natural water source at Periana has attracted settlers since prehistoric times. Proof of these early inhabitants can be found in the form of Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts. As well, there are the many traces remaining of the Moorish occupancy. Sadly, for this village was the damage and loss of life suffered in the terrible earthquake of 1884.
Things to See
Church of San Isidro Labrador is the most important building in the village. It is one a passing tourist might want to visit along with the Antigua Lavadero Municipal (Old municipal washing trough) or the Fuente Periana (local spring ) which is quite imprssive and said to exist in the time of Fernando el Católico (1487).
Baños de Vilo
3km outside the village in a hamlet know as Baños de Vilo, there are ruins of Arab sulphur baths of the same name. In the 18th and 19th century they were considered one of the most important in Andalucia. A great storm in 1907 lead to the distruction of adjacent building and the abandonment of the baths. The bathe became the property of the town hall in the early 1990's and they have been restored. There is rural accommodation here.
From Periana village head north-west on the A-7204 towards Riogordo and Colmenar. At a sharp right hand bend turn right onto the unmarked MA-156 amd drive up 200m to the hamlet of Baños de Vila. The baths are hiden behind a large modern white building ( 5 apartmentos turisticos) on the left hand side driving up. There is a small sign. Enter through the large double iron gates into patio and walk down a path to the stream and you will find the turquoise water of the natural thermal pools.
San Isidro is the patron saint of the village, for this reason on of the mayor festivals of the village is dedicated to him. The festival lasts thre of four days around 15th May each year.