Header Banner - Google Adsense

Arroyo de la Miel - History

History- Arroyo de la Miel

Solesio, an Italian impresario, purchased a small farm in 1784 to build six paper factories to supply the Royal Factory of Playing Cards in Macharaviaya, a small town in the Axarquia region of Malaga.

The only building to survive this era is the recently restored Tribune building (known among the locals as El Corralón - the barn), which is located between Plaza España and Avenida de Andalucía. A monument to Solesio is situated in front of the building.

The Plaza de España was once the nucleus of the town and has a spectacular fountain as its central attraction. There are several restaurants in the square and this is the perfect location to leave behind the hubbub of the 21st century.

Arroyo de la Miel began to expand due to the exploitation of muscatel grapes used for the regions popular fortified wines, but a plague of phylloxera destroyed the regions crops in the 19th century. The municipality's population boom began in the 1950s with the birth and development of mass tourism on the Costa del Sol.

Destinations