By Saski Mier
The Gran Teatro (Great Theatre) was built by Pedro Sánchez y Núñez in 1923.It is a stately building of classic style, typical to the late nineteenth century with Second Empire decoration.
In the twentieth century, after a lack of cultural infrastructures, the construction of a theatre was insistently demanded after Teatro Colón, Teatro Mora and Teatro Comico had all deteriorated and eventually disappeared.
The project was demanded and promoted by Joaquín Gonzalo Garrido, was inaugurated as "Real Teatro" in honour of the title granted by Alfonso XII. Its design sought the coexistence of both theatrical performances, despite its small stage, and cinematographic shows.
The theatre was restored in the late 1980s by Antonio de la Lama, and since 1984, it has been owned by the Diputación de Huelva and Huelva City Council. In 1990 it was re-inaugurated by SM Reina Sofia during a cello concert by Mstislav Rostropóvich.
Today, the Gran Teatro is the only theatre in the city of Huelva and offers a great variety of musical concerts, theatre performances, Easter Week and the Colombian carnival group contest.Once a week it also screens films in their original language with Spanish subtitles.
Calle Vázquez López
Tel: 959 24 57 03
Ticket Office Opening Times ("Taquilla")
Located at a small kiosk opposite the theatre.
Mon-Sun, 11:00-13:00hrs and 19:00-21:00hrs.
Search Hotels in Huelva