History of Málaga Museum
Fine Arts Museum
The Fine Arts section was opened in 1916 following a national plan to establish a museum in each provincial capital. The Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes opened in a temporary location in Calle Pedro de Toledo. In 1920 it moved to the former Jesuit college of San Sebastián, then to the Buenavista Palace in 1961. In 1984 responsibility passed form the national government to the Junta de Andalucía (regional government), which moved it in 1997 to make way for the Museo Picasso Málaga. The works remained in storage at the present Palacio de la Aduana, where temporary exhibitions have been held.
The museum includes works by Luis de Morales, Luca Giordano, Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Antonio del Castillo, Alonso Cano, Pedro de Mena, Jusepe de Ribera, Francisco Zurbarán, Diego Velázquez, Francisco de Goya, Federico de Madrazo, Ramón Casas, José Moreno Carbonero, Enrique Simonet, Joaquín Sorolla, Léon Bonnat, Franz Marc and Pablo Picasso.
Archaeological MuseumThe archaeological museum was opened in 1949, combining the former Museo Loringiano (based on the 19th century collection of the Marquesses of Casa-Loring) and the archaeological section of the Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes, which had collected pieces from excavations since the 1930s. In 1996 a rehabilitation of the Alcazaba necessitated a move and the collection was temporarily housed at the 16th century Convento de la Trinidad. In 1999 it moved to Avenida de Europa, sharing a building with the Biblioteca Pública del Estado (State Public Library); however, it closed in 2010 anticipating the move to its present location in the Palacio de la Aduana.