Palacio de la AduanaThe Palacio de la Aduana (Customs Palace) is one of four imposing institutional buildings that dominate the northern side of the Paseo del Parque (boulevard and gardens) and stand between it and the steep hill on which the Alcazaba sits. The other buildings are Málaga Town Hall, the Bank of Spain and Málaga University.
As the name suggests, it was originally a customs house for Málaga Port. Work began in 1791 on this grand neoclassical building that was modelled on Renaissance Italian palaces. Construction was still underway in 1810 when the building was ransacked by the French during the Peninsular War, and it was not completed until 1829. When the Paseo del Parque and the present port were constructed on reclaimed land at the end of the 19th century the building served as the Real Fábrica de Tabaco (Royal Tobacco Factory). In 1922 it was badly damaged by a fire that led to the deaths of 28 government employees living on the top floor. After the civil war, the national government's Málaga provincial delegation returned.
In 2007 details of the combined museum project were published with an opening date set for 2012. In 2008 a €23 million building refurbishment contract was commissioned but the work was not completed until 2014 when the museum set up began in earnest.
Museo de Málaga, Palacio de la Aduana