|Love to shop? Marbella is your playground.|
Marbella is known as the playground of Europe's rich and famous. If the Costa del Sol was conceived as Europe's Florida, then Marbella is its Miami. Situated between Malaga and Gibraltar, this exclusive resort is where numerous international celebrities and royalty relocate for the summer, hiding out in private villas and exclusive five-star hotels, or on their luxury yachts. Hordes of British tabloid stars head down there for their holidays and can be spotted sporting their Melissa Odabash kaftans and gladiator sandals as they stroll through the town. You can find all the top designer emporiums here - Gucci, Versace, D&G, Dior - but it also has a pretty, well-preserved casco antiguo (old town) with Plaza de los Naranjos at its heart, and historic buildings, including a Moorish fort, and Roman remains (columns and a bridge).
- Fact 1 - Marbella is heaven for foodies, with plenty of Michelin stars shining on its eating establishments.
- Fact 2 - Who used to spend 80 million euros on his summer holidays in Marbella with 3,000 close personal friends? Why, the late king of Saudi Arabia, of course.
- Fact 3 - A mild climate is one of Marbella's main attractions.
- Fact 4 - The life of colourful entrepreneur Jesus Gil y Gil seems too far-fetched to have been real.
- Fact 5 - How a German prince started Marbella's new life as a jetset resort