Header Banner - Google Adsense

Iron bridge of Guadiaro

Iron Bridge of Guadiaro

Guadiaro village is connected to the coastal highway A-7 by the A-2103. This local road was the original coastal highway.

The old coast road looped inland near Torreguadiaro in order to cross the Guadiaro river on an iron girder truss double-span bridge built in 1929, by Engineer Eduardo Torroja y Miret. Before this bridge there was a ferry and the journey from La Linea to Estepona took a whole day. The Estepona to La Linea bus still takes the old road (but manages the journey in considerably less time!).

In Febuary 1969 the Minister of Public Works Federico Silva Muñoz opened 'Puente de San Enrique' and a new stretch of road as part of plan REDIA. This shortened the coast road by 15 minutes cutting out the San Enrique and Guadiaro loop via the iron bridge. This new link road which split the Sotogrande resort into two halves was the N-340 and later A-7.

Santa Maria polo club have built there second ground next to the iron bridge.