HISTORY OF CABRA
Evidence suggests that Cabra has its origins in the Paleolithic era. Prehistorians date the passage from the Paleolithic to the Lower Paleolithic periods around 100,000 B.C. During the Roman occupation, the original nucleus of the town was built on the Iberian settlement known as El Cerro.
With the fall of the Roman Empire, Cabra became an important capital of the Visigoth Kingdom, now known as Egabro, which was its own county and diocese between the sixth and eighth centuries. During the Guadalete Battle, King Rodrigo lost his kingdom. After a quick conquest based on treaties, Arab reign over the peninsula was imposed. It was at this time that the town's name changed to 'Qabra', evolving towards its present form. It was the capital of an extensive territory that covered much of the present-day bordering towns of the area.
Under Alfonso VI, the Taifas of Granada and Seville become Fedatarias of Castile. In 1079, the legendary battle took place in Cabra in which the Cid Campeador commanded the Castilian troops of Alfonso VI along with those of the Sevillian King al-Mutamid, fighting against the North African Ziris established in Granada. In 1217, Fernando III El Santo received from his mother, Berengaria, the Kingdom of Castile and from his father Alfonso IX, that of León in 1230. Cabra, like much of Andalusia, was part of the Crown of Castile from its foundation. On two occasions, Cabra fell into the hands of the King of Granada and was recovered by Alfonso XI, who gave it to Leonor de Guzmán between 1342 and 1344.During the fifteenth century, civil wars between the feudal lords of the Crown of Castile were frequent. In 1483, the joint troops of the region's towns, led by the second Count of Cabra, Diego Fernández de Córdoba and Carrillo de Albornoz, defeated the last King of Granada, Boabdil, in the Battle of Martín González.