Guadalcázar has preserved various archaeological remains which have become its principal tourist attraction. The town welcomes visitors who want to enjoy the tranquillity and peace of mountainous surroundings. It has about 1,600 inhabitants.


There is evidence of the existence of a Roman city in the fourth century known as Cárbula, which Plinio mentioned and which, according to some historians, could be the current Guadalcázar. The Moors also left their mark in this town as it is believed that in Huerta Jonda there is a pool that originally was an Arabian bath. In addition, the name of the city means "palace river" in Arabic.

After being re-conquered by Fernando III in 1236, it was donated to Don Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, who exchanged it for the Manor of Montilla. In 1609 it was erected in Marquisate in favour of Don Diego Fernández de Córdoba, Viceroy of Peru. Luis Fernández de Córdoba, descendant of Don Diego Fernández de Córdoba, founded the Convent of the Order of San Bernardoin the town.


Castillo Palacio de Guadalcázar
The Herrerian-style tower (Torre Mocha) remains as part of the castle and Palacio de Marqueses built in 1609 by order of Diego Fernandez de Córdoba. It was part of the town's splendour, as well as the sumptuous manor palace. It has had very little conservation work done. This building also houses the Science Museum of Guadalcázar. Located in Plaza Torremocha.

Convento de San Bernardo
Luis Fernández de Córdoba founded the Conventin 1620 when Antonio Baena, on behalf of Luis Fernández de Córdoba, asked the Bishop of Córdoba, Fray Diego Mardones, for permission to found a convent for nuns in the town. Located on Calle Virgen Milagrosa.

Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Gracia
The church was built around 1620 and today appears very different as a result of various restorations that have occurred over the years. Located next to the Castillo Palacio de Guadalcázar.

Museo de las Ciencias de Guadalcázar
The museum is distributed over three floors covering three different subjects: Palaeontology, Mineralogy and Entomology. It has the disadvantage of not being prepared for people with disabilities or with problems climbing stairs. Located in the tower of the Castillo Palacio de Guadalcázar.

Opening Times:
Open every day for visits by appointment.
Saturday, 16:30-18:30hrs.
Sunday, 12:00-14:00hrs and 16:30-18:30hrs.
Tel: 669 27 24 00


Parque Municipal "El Hecho"
This municipal park consists of tables, outdoor barbecue facilities, toilets and fountains amongst oak trees, ideal for shade in the summer months. It is here that the pilgrimage is celebrated in Honour of San Isidro Labrador. Located four kilometres south of Guadalcázar.


Vía Verde de la Campiña
This is the Green Route of the Campiña, a route from the Guadalquivir to Écija, passing through La Balastrera and El Hecho municipal parks. It is ideal for those who are keen on walking or even other nature lovers, as the route offers absolute tranquillity and peace.


The typical dishes to try in Guadalcázar include perdiz encebollada (partridge with onion), salmorejo, arroz con liebre (rice with hare), gachas (bread pudding served on Día de Todos los Santos) and pestiños (sweet pastries usually eaten at Christmas and during Holy Week).


Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.

Día de la Candelaria
Celebrated 2 February.

Celebrated in February.

Semana Santa
Holy Week.

Romería de San Isidro Labrador
Celebrated 15 May.

Feria de la Virgen de la Caridad y Santísimo Cristo de la Salud
Celebrated the week of 15 August.

Fiesta de 31 Diciembre
New Year's Eve is celebrated eating 12 grapes in front of the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora Virgen de la Caridad y Santísimo Cristo de la Salud.


The nearby villages to Guadalcázarare Fuente Palmera, Almodóvar del Río and La Carlota.