HISTORY OF EL ROMPIDO
Lithic materials found in the area suggest the existence of early Paleolithic settlements that already inhabited the mouth of Río Piedras. In 1971, 208 pieces of quartzite were found whose chronology goes from the ninth to the third millennium B.C.
In Dehesa de San Miguel a furnace has been located, potentially used for the manufacture of amphorae for salted fish that could be related to the first fishing settlement from the Roman era.
The fifteenth century experienced a period of splendour in which the noble houses implemented a policy of attracting people to their jurisdictions with the aim of exploiting the land remained uncultivated and thus increase income.
The village of San Miguel Arca de Buey was created in 1458 and was located at the foot of the old lighthouse. The streets were built running parallel to the shore of Río Piedras. Due to its location next to the Río Piedras, San Miguel Arca de Buey was subjected to continuous raids by Turkish and Berber pirates who roamed these shores, prompting the progressive abandonment of its inhabitants, until completely depopulated in the first third of the seventeenth century.
The buildings of San Miguel Arca de Buey were already ruins in 1681, while the church and a few houses remained standing until the Lisbon earthquake of 1755.
During the late nineteenth century, fishing huts were gradually constructed in the area and therefore building the start of El Rompido on the site that was once San Miguel Arca de Buey.