Algatocín - THINGS TO SEE
Leave the car by the road and before you walk in, look for the path that leads up to the Hermitage of Santo Cristo. This can be visited after a walk around the village or before, but it does offer a good view of Algatocin, before exploring its streets. A pathway continues from this point up into the mountain, unimaginably called the Route of the Hermitage.
The 16th century Parish Church of Ntra Sra del Rosario dominates the town and is thought to occupy the site of the Arab castle. The church certainly sits on a strategically important point in the pueblo and so only archaeology will truly dispute this claim. The original church was remodelled on a neo-classical style and completed in 1614, under the direction of Pedro Diaz de Palacios. Considering the church was only commenced in 1606, the time and cost of the resources available only enabled a basic structure to be built. Much of what we see today was remodelled in 1725 and again after the damage left by the retreating French in 1810. The church tower has a blue tiled cupola, giving it the appearance of a minaret. The church has three naves and the architect Cirilo Salinas made later modifications in the 19th Century. The statue of the Virgin Rosario can be found inside made from white silver in the 18th century. Also from the same period is the image of San Francisco.
In the village there are a number of large 18th century houses, built around small courtyards and narrow streets. Also in the pueblo are the Plaza de la Alameda and the San Antonio Fountain, with its 17th century inscription.
The Hermitage of Calvario can also be found in the village. In calle Larga, three large houses can be seen with family arms over the door.
A number of Archaeological Sites in the surrounding countryside of Bemamahabu and Salitre and Roman Vesci and the old Canada Real road. More Archaeological Sites>