Convento de Santo Domingo

Built on Arabic foundations at the instigation of the Reyes Catolicos after the fall of Ronda in 1485, this imposing structure on the far side of the Puente Nuevo has been rebuilt over the centuries in Mudejar (post-Reconquest Arabic), gothic and Renaissance styles. It has been, variously, a Dominican convent, a private mausoleum for the Moctezuma y Rojas family and, sporadically, a tribunal for the Inquisition. Abandoned for years and fitfully renovated, it was reopened in 2005 as a museum and conference space, and has so far seen major exhibitions of Goya, Miró and Picasso and, most recently, the first major retrospective by the British artist Miles Richmond, like his mentor David Bomberg an adopted son of Ronda. Even when there are no exhibitions it's recommended for its spacious courtyard and airy galleries.

GPS Location: 36º 44' 26"N 5º 09' 56"W View on Google Maps


See and Do