Header Banner - Google Adsense

Andújar

Andújar

The gently rolling 74,774ha Sierra de Andújar, part of the vast Sierra Morena, is densely wooded and boasts one of Andalucia's best preserved expanses of Mediterranean forest and scrubland. Flowing through the rocky hills is the Yeguas river, with many lovely spots to sit and meditate along its banks. Its more remote areas are inhabited by an impressive number of endangered species, such as the pardel lynx, wolf, black vulture and imperial eagle.

This church’s construction began in 1467 and continued until 1624. Of Gothic origin, it has a hall plan with three naves, with ribbed vaults at the feet. During the sixteenth century, its robust tower, made of brick and Mudejar decoration, began to be erected.

The roman bridge was built at the beginning of the second century AD, in the time of Septimio Severo Pío, according to the inscription that appears on a broken tombstone of the bridge, found during works in the nineteenth century.

The eighth-century church is the oldest temple in the city, built on a mosque and commemorating the day that Fernando III entered Andújar. Originally built in the Gothic style, it underwent important transformations in the first half of the seventeenth century.

It is unknown exactly when this church was built, however, it is likely that it was a long building process, including some reflections of the aestheticism of the sixteenth century, such as its imposing bell tower.

The Municipal Palace (1620-1639) is an Asset of Cultural Interest (2009) where festive, religious and residential spaces have been combined since its creation. As a comedy house, it was one of the best in Andalusia.

The presence of the Contemplative Trinitarian Mothers in the city dates back to 1587, the year in which they founded their convent. Little remains of the original convent, due to the passing time and successive renovations.

The Capuchin Mothers settled in the Capuchin Convent in 1682. At first, it was under the patronage of the Town Hall, but later passed to Juan Moreno Ponce de León. With the transfer of the Capuchin Mothers in 1982 to their convent in Córdoba.

The construction of this building began in 1621 for the establishment of the Order of the Society of Jesus, on the condition that a College of Latin and Science be established to educate the children of the local aristocracy. In the nineteenth century, it became a Municipal Hospital.

This museum showcases the pottery tradition of the Roman City near Andújar (Isturgi), as well as showing how pottery has survived in this territory over two thousand years, fuelled by industry.

This museum collects information and objects relating to the historical devotion to the Virgen de la Cabeza over the centuries, and the artistic and anthropological significance of this worship.

According to local tradition, the clock tower is located where the minaret of the Arab mosque that existed in this square once stood. Built in brick and stone, it was completed in 1534. It features a fabulous imperial coat of arms, which shows the lineage of the Trastamara and the Habsburgs on the right-hand side.

This Sanctuary holds the image of the Virgen de la Cabeza, patron saint of Andújar, venerated by the bull of Pope Pius X on March 18, 1909, and of the Diocese of Jaén, by the decree of Pope John XXIII on 27 November 1959.

Festivals in Andújar: Cabalgata Reyes Magos, Fiesta de la Candelaria, Día de Andalucía, Semana Santa, Romería de la Virgen de la Cabeza, Cruces de Mayo, Fiesta Patronal en Honor a San Eufrasio, Fiesta de la Divina Pastora and more.

The oldest remains found in the area date from the Paleolithic era, belonging to the Acheliense Culture, but it was during the Neolithic period and in the first part of the Bronze Age that the population of the area began to develop more seriously, supported by the development of agriculture in its fertile lands and mining in the Sierra Morena.

Andújar is home to the rolling 74,774 ha of the Sierra de Andújar Natural Park, with many lovely spots to sit and meditate along its banks and more remote areas inhabited by an impressive number of endangered species, such as the Iberian lynx, wolf, black vulture and imperial eagle. The town has has about 36,600 inhabitants.

Hotel Del Val has a restaurant, bar, a shared lounge and garden in Andújar. Boasting room service, this property also provides guests with a children's playground. The hotel features an outdoor pool, a 24-hour front desk, and free WiFi is available throughout the property.