Santuario de la Virgen de la Cabeza
This Sanctuary holds the image of the Virgen de la Cabeza, patron saint of Andújar, venerated by the bull of Pope Pius X on March 18, 1909, and of the Diocese of Jaén, by the decree of Pope John XXIII on 27 November 1959. The Sanctuary was built between 1287 and 1304, and renovated at the end of the sixteenth century. Since 1930, the Trinitarians have attended worship in the Sanctuary and, throughout the year, maintain devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. During the Spanish Civil War, it was the refuge of some two hundred rebellious civil guards from the national side of the province who joined the military uprising in Spain in July 1936. They resisted the siege for nine months against a much larger contingent of soldiers loyal to the Government of the Second Spanish Republic. During these months, some people left the Sanctuary and surrendered to the attackers of the republican side, until finally, on May 1, 1937, with the Sanctuary reduced to rubble, Captain Santiago Cortés González was mortally wounded. The Sanctuary was eventually taken by the republican side. It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 2013 and can be found on Cerro del Cabezo.
FIESTA Y ROMERIA DE LA VIRGEN DE LA CABEZA
30th April 2023
(To be confirmed by Hermandad)
The second most popular festival in Andalucia with up to 250,000 pilgrims traditionally takes place on the last Sunday of April each year outside the town of Andujar in Jaen province.
The story goes that in 1227, a shepherd with a damaged arm found an image of the Virgin on the Cerro de Cabezo (a mountain peak in the Sierra Morena); soon after, his arm was miraculously cured. The romeria, which goes the sanctuary built on this spot, dates from the 14th century, and was mentioned by Cervantes. It is the biggest in Andalucia after El Rocio, and is attended by 600,000 people every year (El Rocio has a million). It is the oldest Romeria in Spain. This Virgin is the patron saint of hunters.