SAN PEDRO District - Town Centre
San Pedro town centre, unlike others on the Costa de Sol, is located a few kilometres from the coast. This is because its origins were as a farming community set up around 1860. Read the history of San Pedro and about modern day San Pedro town.
The town lies to the north of the coastal A-7 highway,which since 2011 has passed through San Pedr ovia an underpass, with a boulevard park at street level. The main shopping street, named after the town's founder, Calle Marqués del Duero, leads north and continues as a pedestrian walkway to the Plaza de la Iglesia, where the parish church is located. None of the homes you see now existed until the 1950s.
The first new construction comprised the two blocks either side of what is now the pedestrian section at the top of Calle Marques del Duero. The town centre grew with the construction of apartment blocks in the '60s and '70s. Another wave of expansion took place post-1995, this time with larger apartment complexes, many with gardens and pools, as well as rows of town houses which are generally located on the outside of the town centre to the north and west.
The area to the south of the boulevard is called Nueva Alcántara.