Olula del Río


Olula del Río is the only town in the world where the pavements and street signs are all made from marble. This characteristic element of the town represents the role of Olula del Río as a major marble producer in Spain. It has around 6,200 inhabitants.


The earliest traces of settlements found in Olula del Río are from the Neolithic and Copper Ages. The period of Al-Andalus was the most significant for the primitive town, which was located on the bank of the river in a difficult area to access, on a rock known as La Piedra Verde Olula. During this period, the area was abundant in fruit, olives, vines and, above all, mulberry trees for the cultivation of silk. More>


Museo Casa Ibáñez
The Casa Ibáñez Museum is one of the largest collections of Contemporary Art in Andalusia. Renowned for the magnitude, variety and quality of its collection, it houses more than 1,200 works of art by artists including Joaquín Sorolla, Mariano Benlluire, Francisco Goya Lucientes, Pablo Picasso, Madrazo, Villegas Cordero, Golucho and Carlos Pérez Siquier. Completing the extensive collection of the AFAL group, Carlos de Paz or Ortiz Echagüe, among many others, are also featured. The main exponent of the Casa Ibáñez Museum is Andrés García Ibáñez, whose work is presented in a series of themed rooms. The Museum currently consists of 16 exhibition halls; 14 dedicated to the permanent collection of the Museum and two dedicated to temporary exhibitions held throughout the year. Located on Calle Museo.

Opening Times:
October-March, Tuesday-Sunday, 11:00-14:00hrs and 17:00-19:00hrs
April-May, Tuesday-Sunday, 11:00-14:00hrs and 18:00-20:00hrs
June-September, Tuesday-Sunday, 11:00-14:00hrs and 19:00-21:00hrs
Price: Free Entry
Tel: 950 44 10 27

Iglesia de San Sebastián
The Neoclassical church was built between 1780 and 1789 by Ventura Rodríguez. It is of Greek cross plant, with a hollow dome covering the central nave. The main altarpiece is presided over by an icon of Christ. It is accessed through a staircase, with a marble baluster railing on either side. The interior is lit by three circular windows located on the main facade. The walls of the baptismal chapel are decorated with paintings referring to the baptism of Christ, which date from 1932. The clock tower that rises from the building still features the original mechanism that was added in 1897. The tower is topped by a weather vane with copper ball and iron cross. The church can be found on Calle de San Sebastián.

Iglesia de la Asunción
This church is a recent construction, dating to 1968. The project was carried out by the Catalan architect Don Ramón Montserrat Ballesté. It has a capacity of between 2,000 and 3,000 people and consists of a central nave for worship, a choir, a circular space for the various services of the church and an area for spiritual retreat. Outside, there is a colorful tower that offers splendor to the otherwise simple building. An interior highlight is the image of the Asunción that presides over the altar. Located on Calle Iglesia Nueva.


Centro de Interpretación Valle de Almanzora Tierra
As indicated by its name, the Interpretation Centre Valle de Almanzora Tierra treats the theme of the land as well as providing touristic information about the area. Information panels explain the richness of the subsoil of the valley, which has been exploited for many years, and highlight the importance of the local mining tradition. Located off Carretera Baja, Paraje La Tejera.


Via Verde del Almanzora
The Guadix-Almendricos (Granada-Murcia) railway line was built to facilitate the quick transportation of mined minerals from the area. Its development began between 1906 and 1907, conducted by several companies of English capital, until, at the end of the last century, it passed into the hands of Spanish capital. Deprecated since 1985, it has now become a route for hikers, bikers and horse riders. The Vía Verde del Almanzora runs part of the disused railway route, in the section that runs between the provincial limit of Granada -Almería and the municipality of Huércal Overa.


Olula Del Río is a popular destination for tourists and, not surprisingly, has a quality hotel located in the town itself (shown below), as well as a budget hostal called Hostal Diamante, also located in town. 

Hotel Jardines La Tejera
Hotel Jardines La Tejera

Hotel Jardines la Tejera is a four-star hotel surrounded by attractive gardens and terraces. It offers an elegant restaurant and air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi access. Free parking and a 24-hour reception are among the many services on offer.



Predictably, the arts and crafts scene of the town is based almost entirely around local marble, with numerous products on offer made with the famous stone.


The local gastronomy consists of dishes and delicacies made with pork, such as morcilla (black pudding) or chorizo and, of course, the traditional pastel de Semana Santa (Easter pie). Other dishes to try include migas (fried bread), pelotas (meatball stew), gurullos (pasta stew) and remojón (potato and cod salad). Sweet treats consist of roscos (aniseed doughnuts), roscos de naranja (orange biscuits), suspiros (meringues), empanadillas (filled pastries) and mantecados de miel (honey lard cakes).


Popular festivals in Olula del Río are the Fiestas de San Sebastián y San Idelfonso and Semana Santa. More>


The neighbouring villages to Olula del Río are Macael, Purchena and Fines.