Iglesia de la Encarnación
The church is an important architectural example of the final evolution from Baroque to Neoclassical. The Baroque architectural elements predominate over other decorative details from later times. The Churches construction began on March 25, 1754 on the site of the previous Mudejar style temple of San Pedro, from the beginning of the sixteenth century, which suffered significant damage in the earthquakes of 1724 and 1751.
The new church was commissioned by the X Marqués de los Vélez, Antonio María Álvarez de Toledo, to the Hieronymite Monk Pedro de San Agustín, as project manager. Following his designs, Francisco Fernández made the main façade, flanked by two square towers that reach 37 meters in height and topped by octagonal bodies. Finally, the temple was inaugurated in 1769. The interior has a rectangular floor plan divided into three naves with a large dome, where the five Altarpieces stand out and among them the one of the Presbytery, which is the work of Francisco Antonio de Testa made between 1770 and 1774. The organ is made of red pine wood by the French organ builder, Guillermo D´Enoyer, and is undoubtedly the most interesting and best preserved historical instrument in the province of Almería and also the largest of those that are preserved made by D´Enoyer. Located in Plaza de la Encarnación.