Fuente Obejuna


Fuente Obejuna is known as the modernist jewel of Córdoba, with the famous early twentieth-century Casa Palacio Cardona the town's most iconic building. It has around 4700 inhabitants.




The oldest archaeological remains in the Cordoba province, dating to the Lower Palaeolithic era, were found in Fuente Obejuna. In the vicinity of La Cardenchosa, dolmens (megalithic tombs) have been unearthed, and the Delgados and La Sierrezuela farms are particularly renowned for the discovery of skeletal remains.

During the Roman era the town was given the name "Fons Mellaria". Following the Reconquest, it was subject to the jurisdiction of the city of Córdoba. In 1460, Enrique IV donated the town to Don Pedro Téllez Girón, Master of Calatrava. In 1475 the Catholic Kings granted permission to Córdoba to reconquer the town, without success. In 1476, the elder Commander of Calatrava, Don Fernán Gómez de Guzmán, died, opening an opportunity for municipal reorganisation.

Many inhabitants from Fuente Obejuna left the town and went on to develop a total of 37 separate hamlets. Fourteen of these still exist today; Alcornocal, Argallón, Cañada del Gamo, La Cardenchosa, La Coronada, Cuenca, Los Morenos, Navalcuervo, Ojuelos Altos, Ojuelos Bajos, Los Pánchez, Piconcillo, El Porvenir and Posadilla.

After the intersection of Queen Juana in 1513, an agreed solution was met, dictated by Toledo with the backing of Inocencio III; the town was incorporated into Córdoba, receiving from the Order of Calatrava 30,000 gold ducats, paid equally between the Crown and Córdoba itself.


Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Castillo
This church stands on the highest point of the town and was erected in the last quarter of the fifteenth century. The interior holds many images dating to the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, as well as altarpieces from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. It can be found on Calle Regidor Caballero Villamediana.

Palacete Moderno
This unique Modernist Palace, also known as "Casa Cardona", was built by Don Pedro Celestino Romero de Santos between 1905 and 1908. The central roof is composed of glass, allowing natural light to illuminate the interior. Today the building houses the Tourist Office and Municipal Historical Museum, and is located on Calle del Doctor Miras Navarro.

Museo Histórico
The Historical Museum was established in August 2000 with the aim of conserving and disseminating the town's historic and artistic heritage. The existing exhibition pieces come almost entirely from archaeological sites located within the municipality. The museum is a part of the Palacete Moderno.

Opening Times: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00-14:00hrs and 17:00-19:00hrs.
Tel: 957 58 41 64

Iglesia de la Presentación de María
This church was built in the seventeenth century in a distinctly Baroque style. Its main altarpiece is carved polychrome wood dating from the second half of the eighteenth century, and others are topped with images of San Agustín and San Idelfonso. The church is located on Calle Córdoba.

Iglesia de San Francisco y Camarín de la Virgen
The church of the Franciscan Fathers is thought have a history dating back four hundred years, built between 1765 and 1766 at the expense of Doña Ana Paula Montenegro. Its main altarpiece is of carved polychrome wood, and dates from the seventeenth century. The church can be visited on Calle Maestra.

Ermita de la Caridad
This chapel was formerly dedicated to Nuestra Señora del Amparo and its architecture seems to present at least two different construction stages. Its origin dates to the founding of the Brotherhood of the Holy Charity of Jesus in 1547. The interior features oil paintings from the eighteenth century that follow the style of the Ayala. The chapel is located on Calle Luis Antonio Buron Barba.

Ermita de San Sebastián
It seems this chapel was mentioned as early as the year 1476, in Córdoba's document of inauguration for Fuente Obejuna. It was rebuilt between 1957 and 1959 after its destruction in 1935 by lightning, and can be visited on Plaza del Santo.

Ermita de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno
Formerly known as the Church of San Miguel, this was where council meetings were held during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. Its main altarpiece is carved from polychrome wood from the second half of the eighteenth century. The building is located on Calle Doctor Miras Navarro.


Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Gracia
The exact date of this church's construction is unknown, although elements of its architecture suggest it dates to around the sixteenth century. Inside, there are hundreds of photographs of soldiers, which have been devoutly placed here for the Virgin's protection. The church is north of Fuente Obejuna, off Calle Gracia.

Yacimientos Arqueológicos
The surroundings of Fuente Obejuna are perfect for lovers of archaeology. You will find the remains of ancient civilizations in sites such as the old Roman mining town of La Loba, and dolmens such as Los Delgados, La Horma and Los Gallegos.


When visiting Fuente Obejuna, try their traditional dishes of carne de caza (game meat), lomo de orza (stuffed pork), lechón ibérico frito (suckling pig) and conejo al ajillo (garlic rabbit). The cured meats, sheep's cheeses and sweet treats such as buñuelos and gachas con tostones are a must. The town also produces its own wine known as vino de pitarra, a delicacy worth a taste.


Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.

La Candelaria
Celebrated the 2 February.

Celebrated in February.

Semana Santa
Holy Week (dates vary each year).

Romería y Feria de San José (Cañada del Gamo)
Celebrated the 19 March.

Romería de San Marcos
Celebrated the last Sunday of April.

Fiesta y Romería de San Isidro (Ojuelos Bajos)
Celebrated the 15 May.

Fiesta y Romería de San Isidro (El Porvenir)
Celebrated the 15 May.

Fiesta de la Siega (Ojuelos Altos)
Celebrated in June.

Verbena de San Juan (Argallón)
Celebrated the 24 June.

Verbena de San Pedro (Posadilla)
Celebrated the 29 June.

Fiestas Mayores en Honor a la Virgen del Carmen (Piconcillo)
Celebrated the 12 July.

Fiestas Locales (Alcornocal)
Celebrated the 14-17 July.

Fiestas Locales (Cuenca)
Celebrated the first week of August.

Fiestas Locales (Ojuelos Altos)
Celebrated the first week of August.

Fiestas Locales
Celebrated the second week of August.

Fiestas Locales (Navalcuervo)
Celebrated the second week of August.

Fiestas Mayores (La Cardenchosa)
Celebrated 16-19 August.

Fiestas Mayores (Los Morenos)
Celebrated 16-19 August.

Fiestas Locales (La Coronada)
Celebrated the 7-9 September.

Feria de San Miguel
Celebrated the last weekend of September.

Fiesta del Pan y Muestra de Artesanía (Los Pánchez)
Food fair celebrated the third weekend of October.


The neighbouring villages to Fuente Obejuna are Peñarroya-Pueblonuevo and Los Blázquez. The east of the Extremadura region is also nearby.