by Saskia Mier
Pruna is home to a monument declared to be of cultural interest, Castillo de Hiero (Iron Castle). Although little remains from the original structure, visitors can still appreciate the remains of this fifteenth century building. The town has about 2,600 inhabitants.
The first settlements date back to a Tartessian settlement found in the area of the Castillo (castle), approximately one kilometrefrom Pruna and then called Callet.The Phoenicians and Greeks also came to this area, which they called Prunna.
During the Roman era, the town was annexed to the Roman Empire in the first stage of the conquest of the peninsula, integrating into the province Ulterior.During the period of Al-Andalus, the town became a farm dedicated to agriculture and livestock and belonged to the Kingdom of Seville.
The Christian conquest was carried out by Alfonso X, who would cede it to the Order of Calatrava. In 1457 it was ceded by Enrique IV to Don Rodrigo de Rivera, as a defence against attacks from the Moors. The town then passed from the Christians to the Moors.
In 1482, Pruna was sold to Don Rodrigo Ponce de León and later passed to the Duchy of Arcos in the sixteenth century and to the Duchy of Osuna in the eighteenth century.The town was burnt down during the French invasion.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia de San Antonio Abad
The church dates to the seventeenth century, probably raised on a previous hermitage. In addition to the images of the Inmaculada, San Antón, Virgen del Carmen and Jesus Nazareno, there are also paintings from 1665, which were finished by Antonio Francisco Frausto in 1750. Located in Plaza de la Libertad.
The distillery is dedicated to the artisan production of anisados (aniseed) and liqueurs, consisting of the distillation of a hydro alcoholic solution in copper stills. In previous decades they were fed byoak wood but currently they are fed bypropane gas. The factory was founded in 1898 by the Reguera family in Atajate, a town with a marked wine vocation in the province of Málaga. With the reduction of the vineyard due to the consequences of phylloxera, and the decrease of surplus wine production that supported the production of aguardiente in the area, most of the local producers abandoned the activity. In the case of Reguera, the owners chose to move the factory to another site, settling in Pruna during the 1920s after buying the Gallito brand. In 1995, after a period being closed, the Reguera family sold the factory to an Olvera consortium, which opted to maintain the craft production. Located on Calle Nueva.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Castillo del Hierro
The Castle's main structure consisted of a large tower built in two construction phases: the initial one during the fourteenth century and a later one during the fifteenth century. The recent restoration has includedwork to the main structure and the outer wall, now easily accessed by a metal ladder to the roof of the tower. Due to its situation standing on a hill at 663 metres, it allows for incomparable views. Located on the A-363 Olvera-Pruna, approximately one kilometre from Pruna.
Ermita de la Pura y Limpia Concepción
The chapel is situated on the Pruna-Algámitas highway, was built around 1968 and is where the Romeríade la Pura y Limpia Concepción is celebrated, one of the oldest celebrations in the province of Seville. Located four kilometresnorth of Pruna, off the SE-462.
El Pilar Lejos
An ancient drinking trough mainly used by cattle as well as women who came here to wash their clothes. There are also wells, although currently dry, which served the town and wereused to irrigate local orchards. Located two kilometres north-east of Pruna, past the cemetery.
Fuente del Pilarillo
The fountain is located on the slopes of Castillo del Hierro. Its water has been flowing for centuries and it is believed that it comes from an existing spring inside the castle. Located off the A-363, approximately one kilometre from Pruna.
Fuente del Molino Cegato
A fountain at the base of the stream, Arroyo El Salado produces sulphurous water that has traditionally been used to cure eye diseases and skin eruptions. Located approximately three kilometressouth of Pruna.
Fuente del Duque
The spring comes from the Sierra del Tablón with fresh cold water in summer and warm water in winter. Used as a watering hole for animals and to irrigate vegetable plots, its name comes from the Duke of Osuna. Located five kilometres north of Pruna, off the SE-462.
Vía Verde de la Sierra
The route begins in Puerto Serrano and ends between the towns of Pruna and Olvera. It was created from an old Jerez-Almargen railway line project that never came to fruition. Its route, in the initial section, is parallel to the course of the Guadalete until arriving at an area called "La Junta de los Ríos", in the municipality of Puerto Serrano, where the Guadalporcún flows into the Guadalete, next to the "La Toleta" recreational area.
Local dishes to try when visiting Pruna are moraga de pimientos (red pepper salad), sopa de tomate (tomato soup), conejo al tomillo (thyme infused rabbit), arroz con castañas (chestnut rice), gazpacho, papas aliñadas (marinated potatoes), sopa de ajo (garlic soup), gazpacho de habas (broad bean soup), pollo con aceitunas (chicken with olives), pollo con almendras (chicken with almonds), pimientos rellenos (stuffed peppers) and riñones al jerez (kidneys in sherry). Sweet treats include tarta de galletas (biscuit cake), flan de huevo (egg flan), flan de chocolate (chocolate flan), peras al vino tinto (pears in red wine) and the famous torta de bellotas (acorn torte).
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Fiesta de la Candelaria
Celebrated the first few days of February.
Día de Andalucía
Celebrated on 28 February.
Celebrated at the end of February.
Romería de la Pura y Limpia Concepción
Celebrated on the first Sunday of May.
Celebrated on 15 August.
Festival Flamenco Villa de Pruna
Celebrated in August.