Antequera - Fact 1 - Gates of Heaven
Located at the top of the town, the Arco de los Gigantes dates from 1585, and was built in honour of King Philip II. The late-Renaissance arch was constructed using Roman masonry with sculptures and inscriptions, rescued from the Roman town which was probably destroyed around the same time (see Fact 3). You walk through this magnificent stone triumphal arch to get to the castle walls. There are three other gates in Antequera: Puerta de Malaga, Puerta de Estepa and Puerta de Granada.
- Fact 1 - Four large gates and arches adorn Antequera's streets.
- Fact 2 - The biggest dolmen in Europe is in Antequera.
- Fact 3 - Perfectly-preserved Roman remains are not be missed.
- Fact 4 - See bizarre rock formations or walk along a heart-stoppingly high path.
- Fact 5 - Regional cuisine? Antequera is famous for its puddings. Antequera - Fascinating Facts
Fascinating Facts - Home