Five Fascinating Facts about Bullfighting
5) CELEB STATUS -
Whether they like it or not, bullfighters enjoy celebrity status here in Spain. They're even richer and more famous than footballers - because facing off a huge, angry beast is so much more macho and impressive than kicking a small ball around a field. They often end up with (in)famous partners - witness Jesulin and Belen Esteban, permanent fixture on trashy TV shows; El Cordobes and our recent interviewee, fashion designer and TV presenter Vicky Martin Berrocal; Fran Rivera was married to the Duquesa de Alba's daughter, Eugenia. Cayetana, a big bullfighting fan herself, maintains a close relationship with her ex-son-in-law.
- Fact 1 - The Literary Link - Bullfighting is a favoured theme among writers - male ones, of course.
- Fact 2 - The idea of men struggling with bulls has been around for millennia.
- Fact 3 - Indefensible but irresistible - for some, the former means it should also be illegal
- Fact 4 - Andalucia has two of the sport's most important venues
- Fact 5 - Celebrity status