Huelva City - Fascinating Fact 2 - COLUMBINE ENCOUNTERS
The whole of Huelva, both city and immediately surrounding area, is imbued with the spirit of Cristobal Colon and his voyages to America. You can visit the monastery in La Rabida where he stayed while waiting for his request for funding to be approved by Queen Isabella. Just outside the city itself is the white 15th-century chapel where Columbus and his fellow crew members, all recruited locally, prayed to the Virgen de la Cinta, Huelva's patron saint. The chapel is just north of the centre, atop a hill looking out to sea. Interesting fact: Huelva is twinned with Genoa in Italy, Columbus' home city.
- Fact 1 - Driving through Huelva, and suddenly find yourself transported back to suburban Victorian England?
- Fact 2 - Christopher Columbus is Huelva's own local hero and you can follow in his footsteps.
- Fact 3 - Huelva´s football club, Recreativo, is the oldest in Spain.
- Fact 4 - See replicas of Columbus` faithful ships - every schoolchild can name them for you.
- Fact 5 - From erotic poetry to children's books, this Nobel Laureate was Onubense. Huelva city - Fascinating Facts
Fascinating Facts - Home