CHRIST ON A CLOTH
Inside Jaen´s impressive Renaissance cathedral, behind the high altar, is a much-prized religious artifact: a cloth said to have been used by St Veronica to wipe Christ´s face as he carried the cross to Golgotha. The lienzo del Santo Rostro (cloth of the Holy Face) has an image of his countenance, allegedly, and is housed in its own chapel. The sacred cloth is removed from its reliquary on Friday mornings so that the faithful can kiss the glass box where it resides (the priest wipes the glass after each person). The image has been the subject of many Spanish paintings.
- Fact 1 - For centuries Jaen was a battleground in the power struggles between Christian kings and Moorish rulers.
- Fact 2 - Enjoy bird´s-eye views - in the city´s mountain-top castle.
- Fact 3 - See Jesus´ face in Jaen´s version of the Turin Shroud.
- Fact 4 - Taste "liquid gold" in the world capital of olive oil.
- Fact 5 - Visit the largest surviving Arab baths in Spain. Jaen city - Fascinating Facts
Fascinating Facts - Home