Header Banner - Google Adsense

Arjona

Arjona

The Archaeological Museum opened on November 22, 2012. It presents a collection of nearly 3,000 pieces, ranging from fossil remains to more modern archeological artefacts. It is divided into three rooms: a first room dedicated to prehistory; a second one dedicated to history.

Construction of this church began in 1898 thanks to Isidoro Pérez de Herrasti, in memory of his deceased daughter, Carmen. It is built on the site that served as an orchard for the Hermanas de la Cruz, in the convent that later communicated with the church.

Today only the thin bell tower remains of this building, built in the sixteenth century. The rest of the primitive church, in Gothic style, was burned and destroyed during the Civil War in 1936.

The Museum of Art and Tradition was launched in the summer of 2011. Since that date, through the museum’s inauguration in November 2012 and continuing today, hard work has been undertaken to complete an important collection of ethnographic and traditional objects used by residents of Arjona throughout its most recent history.

It is believed that this church occupies the site where numerous other sanctuaries have stood over time. There is therefore likely to have been a Roman temple dedicated to Caesar Augusto here, as well as the Major Mosque of the Alcázar de Aryuna, Christianized after the Christian Re-conquest by King Fernando III in 1244.

This sanctuary was erected during the Bishopric of Moscoso y Sandoval to guard the supposed remains of the martyred Saints, Bonoso and Maximiano, found in this town at the beginning of the seventeenth century.

Cortijo La Torre uses the cold extraction method to obtain their olive oil, which has gathered over 125 international awards for its quality. The tradition and long experience of more than a century in the cultivation, collection and obtaining of oil allows Cortijo La Torre.

The walls of Arjona date from the Almohad period. They originally had about 22 towers, as well as too distinct additional stone towers, one of which was octagonal. The fortress or main fortified enclosure is located at one end of the hill’s plateau.

This is a neo-Byzantine style crypt built between 1920 and 1930 by Fernando Ruano Prieto, “Barón de Velasco”, as a private family pantheon. This crypt was part of an architectural complex of Capilla-Crypta, where the chapel was located inside Iglesia de San Juan Bautista.

The Aljibe is situated in the Ancient Alcazaba of Aryuna, just below what might have been the Great Mosque in Islamic times. The cistern was built at the beginning of the twelfth century, the work of the Almohades. Located in Plaza Santa María.

The church was erected in the sixteenth century, but was practically destroyed during the Civil War, so that from the time of its construction only the main door remains, made in 1531 by Juan de Marquina.

Festivals in Arjona: Cabalgata Reyes Magos, Día de Andalucía, Semana Santa, Fiestas de San Isidro, Verbena de San Juan, Verbena del Carmen, Fiestas de los Santos Patrones and Feria Real.

Arjona has achieved popularity and fame for its olive oil production. The integration of the olive tree into the landscape, the economy and the way of life of the locals over the centuries have accumulated a cultural background for the town with the olive tree and its products as the main exponents. It has about 5,500 inhabitants.